Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Mast  (Read 1607 times)
AB1DZ

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2005, 05:38:50 PM »

Greetings,

I am about to install a pair of 3ft antenna tripods on my roof.  I am planning on putting a j-pole on one tripod, and a 4-elem yagi on the other (yagi 2m, j-pole: dual band)about 9 feet apart.  This is my first 'real' antenna, so I have a few questions.

I need to put a mast on these tripods.  I noticed that the 1.5inch galv. steel pipes at Home Depot weigh a ton.  Is 5 feet of this type of pipe o.k. to use, or is it too heavy?  What else should I use?

Thanks,

Roland
KC0SOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:54:43 AM »

Lowes and Home Depot carry TV masting in 5" sections.  Plenty good for the antennas you plan to install.  

73, Doug kc0sog
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 07:20:42 AM »

I use the galvanized steel pipe from Home Depot.  Works fine............  73, BJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »

>RE: Antenna Mast  Reply  
by K0CWO on April 29, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
I use the galvanized steel pipe from Home Depot. Works fine............ 73, BJ<  

Problem is, there's a lot of different kinds of galvanized steel pipe at Home Depot!

The gas pipe is thick wall and very heavy.  That's probably what the original post referred to.  

Then, there's electrical EMT thinwall conduit, which is also galvanized steel (although it can be aluminum, too).  That's much lighter and good enough for lightweight VHF antennas, for sure.

They also have galvanized steel fencepost railing material.  That, too, would be strong enough for lightweight VHF antennas.

None of the above is great for heavy HF beams; but for the application of the inquiry, any of this will work fine.  No need to use the thickwall gas/water pipe -- it's very heavy for the job.

WB2WIK/6
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 12:33:58 PM »

Home depot sells chain link fence top rail's,Which
are the equivilent of tv masting and is fairly
light weight! It looks just like tv masting with swaged ends to couple them together! And
they are cheap at a few dollars each and
they are 10 or 12 feet long!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: