Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Question  (Read 776 times)
K3ASA

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:44:24 AM »

Got my ticket a couple years ago, and was only active for a few months until an ice storm took down my G5RV which, even though only 25' high was working pretty well for my DX hobby. I have since moved, and do not have the space now that I had at the previous residence. I have purchased an AS-2 from Spi-Ro, and I am debating how to hang it. One side of my house has overhead electric incoming, so that side is out. I considered an inverted v on the opposite side of the house, with the center around 30' up and the ends 10' up, but this makes me have to put up 3 poles, etc.  If I were to string this thing flat top (prefered), I have no workable trees, so would have to use 2 poles of some type, plus there is really no space for guys, so I could not be very high. Then, there is the maint. problem if the darn thing gets broken again. I have gotten too old to go shinny up poles, and towers are out of my budget limitations. I want a multi bander, so I believe verticles are out. My house is actually a small 2 story (a 40' X 25' "beach" type or "stilt" type), with the bottom enclosed and the shack will be set up in the bottom. I thought about hanging the antenna under the eaves (16' up), but that would be quite low, and the existing electric feed would be a problem too. Suggestions? Comments?
KC0SOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:06:28 AM »

Well, I have a similar situation.  I use a 100 ft dipole fed with 300ohm balanced line and have it arranged in a halo pattern on top of the roof laying on the shingles and tied down.  I also have a 40 ft version arranged inside of the halo in a horizonal "V" arrangement.   I run these to an autotuner in the shack.   Not optimal but I can work some DX on the high bands like 17, 15, and 10m.  On 80 and 40 it is a stateside antenna.    You could also install a vertical and they are multibanded.  Hustler makes a few and I'm considering one of those myself.

Good Luck, Doug kc0sog
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:31:55 PM »

<<  I want a multi bander, so I believe verticles are out. >>

What leads you to this conclusion? There are several good, multi-band verticals on the market - the Hustler series, Butternuts, GAPs - take you choice.

All except the GAPs require a good radial field, if ground mounted, or a set of resonate radials if roof mounted. From all that I have read, the Hustlers are very good in the roof-mounted situation.

Lon
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »

The Cushcraft R5/R7 and whatever the "new" one is a "half wave" design and does not require radials, either.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:07:31 AM »

Force 12 makes some very good multi-band vertical dipoles that are small and easy to put up.  My son has the Sigma-5 which uses a control cable to electrically switch among the five bands between 20 and 10 meters.  I recently ordered a Sigma-40XK, which is a manual band changing antenna that covers 60 thru 10 meters. Since they are dipoles, they require no radials, and also perform well at or near ground level.  Both these antennas are getting excellent reviews.

Chuck  NI0C

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:02:57 PM »

2 push up mast and a flat top, or 1 pushup and an inverted v, or a hustler 5BTV ($159 at HRO) or a mast or two with pullys at the top so you can raise and low as you choose, or a nice loop on the roof... lots of options  do agoogle or elmers search on homebrew antenna or stelth antenna for more ideas.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: