Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Ground: How to?  (Read 732 times)
KG6TOJ

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:49:42 AM »

I have my ham shack in a loft.  It is about a 20 foot run across a roof and down the side of the house to the water  main and I have read about the problems with long ground wires.  I also have a copper pipe in a cold water feed to the bathroom a few feet from my gear.  What would be the best setup for RF and ordinarly grounding for my station?

Should I run copper foil across the floor and somehow into the bathroom for RF grouding?  Will that provide a good general ground too?
W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 06:28:54 AM »

It depends on a lot of factors.  Depending on you antenna, you may not need an RF ground. Do a search in the Elmers section for RF Ground.  It has been covered in great detail a million times over.

-Tim

N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:33:37 PM »

If your antenna is indoors, you needn't worry about a ground at all.

If it's not indoors, you need to tell us what kind of antenna you're using, before we can provide intelligent info about whether you need a ground at all.

AM
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »

The station ground here is a 30mm diameter copper pipe about 2 metres long driven into the ground. This is connected using the thickest cable I could find to the shack grounding point. Having said that, I have the advantage that my shack is only about three metres above ground level.

If you have a shack in the loft then RF grounding could be a problem, but there are a number of solutions:

1) Use balanced antennas, either loops or dipoles, and connect them to your shack using balanced feeders.

2) Use a single ended antenna but with either a groundplane if it is a vertical or a counterpoise if it is horizontal. You will need a counterpoise for each band cut to length.

3) Some hams have been experimenting with using tuned coax stubs as an alternative to a counterpoise.

The above choices only cover your RF ground. For safety you MUST ensure that there is a good electrical ground for your mains supply. If in doubt consult a qualified electrician.

HA5RXZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: