Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: coaxial switch grounding  (Read 627 times)
WA4MDP-EX

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2005, 06:05:07 AM »

OBTW...I did get my old call back after letting it lapse in '98. I am installing a MFJ antenna switch for the 2 HF feedlines and a Dummy load in my shack. I have two 10' ground rods less than 3' outside the station. I have heavy braid to my Xcvr and wattmeter. Should the coaxal switch be grounded as well? It has a "ground" position on the switch.
Thanks to all...
Garry
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 04:11:22 PM »

Sure it should; in fact, this ground is more important than the other two, because it's a lower impedance path to your antenna.

"Braid" isn't such a great choice for grounding anything; smooth, solid conductors work better because they have lower inductance per unit length for any given surface area.  It's tempting to use braid for its flexibility, though -- understood.  If braid is used, it should be heavier than the equivalent solid conductor to achieve similar inductance.

NEC dictates that this point (where your ground rod attaches to your station) should be electrically common by a single point connection to your service entrance ground.

WB2WIK/6
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:05:19 AM »

I agree 100% with WIK.
Flat copper strap is the best to use for your ground conductor, Sometimes available at reasonable cost from upscale roofers who use it for roof flashing......
A good ground "system" has a number of ground rods, Rule of thumb is twice the distance apart as the depth..........  
For good info on proper grounding, check the tech notes on the Polyphaser site, and also this one:
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: