Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station on a Budget  (Read 578 times)
HR2PAC

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:05:29 PM »

Hello everyone I am trying to build a "basic" HF ham station, the only thing that I currently own is a brand new Astron RS20A but I figured that for a basic station I need an HF rig, at least a wire antenna and an antenna tuner. My budget is $800 and would like to get an automatic antenna tunner (MFJ has some new ones for $200) thanks for your comments guys, and 73's from Honduras.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »

I think you can do better than MFJ for no more money.  Look at the autotuners by LDG.  Also, remember, many ham rigs, even older, used ones, may have an autotuner built in already, in which case you won't need one.

Caity
K7VO/8
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 05:17:02 AM »

Just remember that a lot of the tuners that are built into these rigs will not tune nearly as much as the external tuners.
Build and tune your antennas right and you won't need much of a tuner, if any.

73 Ken
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 02:12:07 PM »

Ken is absolutely right about the limitations of internal tuners. I prefer an external manual antenna tuner as they will tune almost anything.  Again, I prefer they not be MFG.  I had an MFJ 945E that literally fell apart at the seams while sitting on my desk for a few months of light use.  Quality control is definitely lacking at MFJ, hence my recommendation of LDG.  Better build, better prices, better tuners.

Caity
K7VO/8
HR2PAC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 05:25:41 PM »

A million thanks to all who responded, I finally made my decision. Yaesu FT-840, G5RV and MFJ-991 Auto Tuner, I already had an Astron RS-20A so that helped big time!! so my station on a budget came out to about $850 all of the gear is brand new!! I found some good deals on Ebay as long as you dont mind buying Joe's 5 year old rig with a bunch of scratches, 73's to one and all from Honduras.
KB1FZA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 12:17:32 PM »

I wouldnt spend a dime on MFJ product. The MFJ stuff is cheap but as ppl say - you get what you paid for - and sometimes less. The LDG tuners are pretty good, something i cant say about any of the MFJ products. And for the scratches - i have bought in the past an MFJ product (259B) which had a lot of pretty bad scratches right out of the box, it almost looked like something the cat draged in. Sometimes used equipment is in better shape - both cosmetics and electronics than brand new MFJ junk. After few MFJ purchases i gave up and decided not to waste my money. LDG -200 Pro is a good deal - now LDG offers also a free balun with the purchase.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 03:06:47 PM »

I must say I have used MFJ tuners for over two decades, and have been very pleased with the product.  The first tuner I bought is still in use, and the 3 kW tuner has seen more hours of use (and abuse) than I'd care to admit.

Cheaply made?  I don't agree.  But thats IMHO.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: