Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon 706 MKIIG or Yaesu FT-857D/FT897D  (Read 6816 times)
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »

Hi Stu,

Interesting comments on lead free solder and the tin whiskers problem.
Thanks for posting that, I was not aware of it.
Guess that is another good reason to not over-capitalise on a rig.

On the popularity of the 706 and 897, I don't know what other people who buy 897s' think, but to me, it seemed like a good rig for a low price.
For someone coming back to the hobby after many years, it provides a "toe in the water" without splashing out big bucks.

In my case, I found that's all the rig I needed, as with plasma tv's and switching PSUs' all around me, the HF noise level is pretty high here.
But the FT897 does look nice in that military sort of way, and forms a compact little package, which can be put away when not doing radio.

One of the things I really liked was the ability to bolt on the integrated FP30 switching PSU where the batteries normally go.
That way it could be a mobile or base station without having to have another 12 volt PSU in the shack.

In the end, as you said, its a personal choice, but threads like this one may help (or hinder!) someone to make an informed decision, based on other peoples experiences.

73s.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: