Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a good cheap HF base station?  (Read 1867 times)
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 11:47:35 PM »

The SGC SG2020 is a good, very sturdy transceiver. The size is right and built like a brick for portable operation. However, maximum power is 20 watts. Worse, it is no longer in production though they may have a few in their "back room".
WL7CMG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03:11 AM »

TS-570DG/SG. Nice enough size for base and not too big for portable. Can pick the DG up used for decent prices, the SG is a bit more. Guess it depends if you want to have the VHF bands too? I had an old original D model and it was a real good rig...good ears and glowing audio reports with a MC-60. Vintage AMers couldn't believe I was running a "rice box" when I gave AM a try....it was THAT good...!!! An OM extra friend was visiting once and was so impressed with the D that he ran out and bought a brand new SG. He loves it. Anyway....something you might want to look into.
Just my $.02 worth...

Good Luck...!!!

Dave / wl7cmg
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 05:26:27 PM »

The Icom 718 is a very good basic HF rig especially with the audio DSP added. Simple to use but enough features to always be useful as a backup rig if you decide you want a more feature rich radio.

73 de Walt N2IK
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 07:23:25 PM »

I have 2 of the ft 857d's and they do well. I use them mobile with ATAS antennas and it is a sweet setup.  $689 new, less if you look around. dc to daylight, good reciever, alphabetical menu and it "makes sence" to operate.  I never did like the 706 menu system, ..

I have an 857 d in each car and an ft 847 in the pickup.. Its even better, bigger, but they all work well.  my best rx is the orion, and actually for a good little hf only rig look at the scout, by ten tec, small, cheep used, solid, full qsk,  and there are others..   good luck
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »

I'm curious about why I hear alot of suggestions to posts like this regarding the 706 original and MkII even though I also hear about it's faults while I see very few comments on the Yaesu FT-100D. I own a FT-100D and run it mobile with a full size screwdriver antenna and consistantly get excellent reports, both US and DX. I looked at both the 706 and 100D before deciding on the 100D, mainly based on user reports and test specs.

Am I missing something or is the FT-100D just getting poor or little press now that it has been discontinued?

Gene KI6LO
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: