Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 or IC-746Pro???  (Read 1534 times)
JOHNNE507

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:34:20 AM »

I am returning to ham radio after 25+ years QRT.  I am now a General, KE7HGL, and I am soliciting help regarding the use of the above referenced xcvrs.  I am interested in casual CW dx, SWL and maybe MARS.  What is there to pick between the two?

These new rigs look like the space shuttle dashboard.

I appreciate your help.

73 de KE7HGL
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »

I wouldn't have either one of those rigs in my shack.  

If you're going to spend that kind of money, you could do far better with a nice used Ten Tec radio (which you can purchase reconditioned from the factory), and have money left over for an SWL receiver and scanner for VHF/UHF listening.  

If you want something new and simple to operate, the IC-718 is hard to beat.  Check out the reviews here on eHam, and see what people are saying about the radios you are considering.

73 & welcome back to the hobby!

Chuck  NI0C

JOHNNE507

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:38:58 AM »

Thanks, Chuck!  I appreciate the feedback.  I would honestly like a T-T.  I belong to a couple of T-T Yahoo Groups and I have read everything on the T-T 'Knowledge Base' section of their site.  It seems that they have extremely good service, but I see quite a few comments regarding the need for that service.

What model T-T do you own and why wouldn't you have a TS-2000 or IC-746 Pro?

Thanks!

73 de KE7GHL
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 11:04:01 AM »

I made that decision a couple years ago.  Both are good rigs.... I believe the Icom to be better plus also a better value.

The superb DSP in the Icom with all the attendant noise filtering and signal filter capabilities make it one of the best receivers for the money.

I certainly have had no regrets over the past two years.

Ed
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 07:17:13 PM »

"What model T-T do you own and why wouldn't you have a TS-2000 or IC-746 Pro?"

I have two Ten Tec rigs-- an old Omni C, and an Omni 6/opt.1, both loaded with filters.  I think one of the most frequent repairs in the older rigs (like the Omni C) is a rebuild of the PTO.  The Omni 5's and 6's use an optical encoder for tuning, and don't require any PTO maintenance.  

Many people like the TS-2000 and IC-746 Pro.  I'm sure they are nice rigs. My reason not desiring one is mostly personal preference.  I like a rig that is simple to operate, without a lot of menu functions.  I also don't need VHF/UHF capability in my HF radio, and feel that generally results in a compromise in HF performance.  

Chuck  NI0C
JOHNNE507

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:19:57 PM »

Thanks, Chuck! I really feel the same way about a radio.  I'd by the new Argo V in a second if it had 100 watts.  I'd even opt for an Argo V and a midsize SS amp if I could find one in the States.  :-)

Thanks again!
AB7Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 10:47:52 PM »

Both radios have strengths and weaknesses. I have owned both, and still own the 2000.
 The 746pro is a great radio. However, I could not live with the potential IC-151 failure. It was like I was always looking over my shoulder. The DSP filtering on the 746pro is excellent better than the 2000 in my opinion. The radio is outstanding for SWL listening also. The receiver is great, and has good audio even out of the stock speaker. It has great transmit audio with the Heil Goldline,or the SM-20. On the flip side, if you want to use the rig for weak signal SSB, it will drift on you unless you buy the optional TCXO. Then there are the reliability issues. I advise that you investigate the online forums before making a decision.

The 2000 does many things well. I use mine about 95% of the time on VHF. It is however very capable as a backup on HF to my 950sdx. Of course it has 440 mhz.It also has excellent audio on both receive and transmit. The feature set on the 2000 is unmatched in any radio ever made. Dual receive, UHF, full computer control, full control of audio settings both receive and transmit, cross band repeat, satelite mode, etc. are some of the items that distance it from the Icom. Try cruising 80 meters while scanning your local repeaters on 2 meters  with a 746.....won't happen. The 2000 met my needs better, but it is not my primary HF rig either.

I think you would be happy with either radio, just pick the one that best matches what you want to do in radio. I also agree about the classic Ten Tec rigs. Hard to beat especially if you are a CW guy. Enjoy the research!
Dave
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:59:04 AM »

Ts2000 is like a swiss knife.. "all-in-one" radio and work very, very well..
I not have any experience in icom but that radio have some problem whit IC151.. that's mean..
I prefer kenwood...
Best regard
Jose
N9AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 11:22:05 AM »

The TS-2000 and IC-746Pro are both nice rigs, but the Kenwood has a far better track record regarding reliability. I've owned a couple of TS-2000s and an IC-756Pro. The 756Pro has a slightly better receiver than the Kenwood, but not by much. AB7Q is right on the money, the TS-2000 has an unbelievable set of features and allows just about any kind of operating. Assuming, of course, you're willing to read the owners manual.Wink

The IC-746Pro isn't really a better value, because the TS-2000 allows for operation on another band, is satellite ready, allows for computer control without an optional interface box and is more reliable.

For those without experience with either of these rigs and yet still feel compelled to offer advice regarding their complexity: On the TS-2000, after you set up the menus, you don't really need to mess with them anymore. It does take a little while to learn the rig, but after that, it's really not that difficult to use.

Welcome back to the hobby.

Scott, N9AA
AG4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »

THE ICOM 746 PRO IS A GREAT RADIO. ITS A MUCH BETTER HF RADIO THAN THE TS-2000. BUT THE TS-2000 GIVES YOU MORE BAND COVERAGE. 440 AND 1.2 MEGAHERTZ AS AN OPTION. I OWN A 746 PRO AND LOVE IT. YOU WOULD NOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER RIG. THE LEARNING CURVE IS BETTER ON THE 746. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. RICH AG4ZN
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:06:30 AM »

Hi Johnne and welcome back!

To be honest, when it comes to what rig is better for you....only you can make that decision.

I'd suggest you think about a "day trip" to Phoenix, and check 'em out at the HRO store.  Touchie, feelie, listen....helps the decision process (hi).

You might also consider that right now we're sorta at the bottom of the barrel in the solar cycle, and it will be a few more years before things get popping again.  In that time, there's bound to be a whole new selection of rigs available.  So, maybe you should consider just picking up something to get your feet wet again, and see what you really want to get into down the line.

Ten-Tec sells reconditioned rigs direct, several retail dealers (i.e. Burghardt)have used gear, and there's the ads on this site, and QRZ.com.

But whatever you do, it's good to have you back!

73, Jim/k7unz

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: