Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palstar AT1KM or LDG 200Pro  (Read 1032 times)
JOHNNE507

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2006, 07:15:55 AM »

I am putting together a new (read first in 25+ years) HF station with compromised wire and vertical antennas. I will be running a KW 480HX. I will be doing some casual cw DX and MARS, but I'm never gonna be a serious contestor!

I never used an AT in the past.  Please advise me regarding the two tuner options in the subject line.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:10:46 PM »

Well.... the big question is do you plan to add an amp at some point.  If the answer is "yes" or "maybe", then I'd recommend the AT1KM as it will handle 1200 watts, PEP.  The LDG will handle 250 watts.  However, if you plan to get on 6M with the TS-480, then the LDG will be the way to go as it covers 6 whereas the Palstar doesn't.

Just some things to consider
WIRELESS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »

Some of Palstar's tuners use L networks, and all of LDG tuners use L networks with much wider matching range than the Palstar L networks.  LDG has much more capacitance available for matching.  The Palstar tuners that use the T network configuration will match very wide load Z but circuit Q can reach 200!  L networks can match very wide ranges with only a max network Q of 10.

T networks can get very hot (coil) which is a contradiction since most hams expect a tuner to match impedances so there is efficient transfer of power from source to antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: