Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on radios  (Read 669 times)
AB9DF

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »

Due to a very expensive baseball season for my son, I elected to sell my Kenwood TS-450 to offset my costs.  I have always enjoyed the 450 and now am ready to purchase another radio.  I have really been looking at the Yeasu FT-897D.  I like the size, frequency options and portability of the rig.  I like to take radios on campouts and in mobile setups. I also spend a great deal of time on 75 meters.  I am active on the Geratol net and want a rig that will be at least an equal (if not better) than the 450.  Everything about the 897D suggests I will not be disappointed.  Does anyone have any thoughts of replacing the 450 with the 897D?

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »

I'm surprised an FT-897D costs less than the used value of a TS-450S.

But anyway, in "comparing" the two, the 897 would disappoint me only in that it's a very small rig with very small, and very few controls.  As such, most functionality is menu-based.

In using the '897 personally (and I have, for days), I found it annoying that some of the most-used controls -- ones that I adjust constantly, from QSO to QSO -- are menu embedded.  I like to have an analog front panel adjustment for mike gain, power output, speech compression level, keyer speed, etc.  The larger Kenwood has this, the smaller Yaesu doesn't.  The '450 also has a large, easy-to-read display, which I can read from across a room.  The '897 doesn't.

The TS-450S/AT also has an internal and very good automatic antenna tuner, which the stock '897 does not.  You can add an optional tuner module to the '897, but that adds considerable cost (like >20% of the cost of the rig).

I guess it depends how you actually *use* the rig.

WB2WIK/6
AB9DF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:09:16 AM »

My only reason for mentioning the selling of my TS450 and the purchase of the new radio was to explain why I am in the situation to begin with.  The cash payout for baseball was right after christmas and now that I am in the summer I want to purchase a new rig.  The cost difference is irrelavent.  My question was related to seeing if anyone had used both radios and had an opinion regarding the differences.  I am really into being able to work portable/mobile and base with the same rig and still have HF and VHF capability.  Which makes me like what I see in the 897D.  
Thanks 73,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: