Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSP for an older ICOM 735  (Read 761 times)
K5FRB

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »

I am considering adding a DSP unit to my ICOM 735 transceiver. I realize ther are many to choose from. I don't have alot of money and want to get the best unit for the price with the best sound. I have considered a couple of units. First is a Clear speech unit, the second is a Radio Shack DSP 40. Could anyone give any advise on these units or any other that will work with my Icom?
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:02:15 AM »

The outboard audio DSP units should work with virtually any receiver or transceiver.  I really like the MFJ-784B, and I presently have my station setup to switch the unit to the audio outputs of my Ten Tec Omni 6, a Kenwood TS-440S, and a Wilderness Sierra QRP rig.

Chuck  NI0C
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:09:11 PM »

The most sophisticated and powerful DSP units are the Timewave 599zx and the JPS NIR-12. (The JPS is out of production, but easy to find on the used market).    Both do a superb job on both SSB and CW at both noise reduction and bandpass filtering.

The Radio Shack DSP-40 is kind of minimal but it does work.  It just doesn't do all the things the fancier DSPs do.  I haven't owned any of the Clear Speech units so I cannot comment on them.

One of my favorite simple DSP units, again only available used, is the W9GR (Quantics) DSP II or DSP III.  Very easy to use, very effective, and typically around $45-60 on the used market.

Caity
K7VO
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »

<<  First is a Clear speech unit,>>

These units are no longer made and there is no support available for them. Even Heil bailed out on the units they were selling, although I have one new in the box I am willing to sell if you really want one. My email is in my profile.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 06:22:41 AM »

I have to agree with Lon concerning the Heil "Clear Speach" unit.  Mine has also been re-installed in it's box, and now occupies space in the closet.  Was not at all impressed with it's performance, and in fact it had several drawbacks to it.  Save your money on that one!

Now, what I did find usefull, and IS in use, is the little SGC ADSP-2 speaker unit (model 7014).  This thing is really amazing.  Has three selectable bandwidths, and two levels of noise reduction. Select whatever combination you want, by-pass either or both.

Actually, I just checked the SGC website yesterday 'cos I was gonna order another ($149.00), and the darn thing is listed as "sold out"!  Guess I'm not the only one who was impressed (hi)!
HRO is also out of stock....

To be honest, I still haven't found an outboard audio filter that is as effective as my old Bencher XZ-2, which is a SCAF type with variable center frequency.  It's now been in use for over 20 years, and still hard to beat!

73, Jim/k7unz

N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:23:51 PM »

If portability is not a requirement and you have a PC with a sound card then consider getting a sound card interface. The same ones like are used for PSK31, SSTV, etc. will do just fine. Then with that you can use a PC based filtering program such as SR5, Winrad, and several others (most free).

SR5 can be downloaded for free from: http://ar5.aoruk.com/sr5.htm

Winrad (also free) from:
http://www.weaksignals.com/

There is a bit of latency (too much for high speed CW work) through the SR5 program but it does a nice job of filtering. You can even set the filter widths to be whatever you want and even "draw" your own passband shape if you want to.

You can make good use of Winrad for audio filtering as well even though it is a full blown SDR receiver program and even if you can't provide it I/Q inputs .
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:23:50 AM »

The GAP Hear-It speaker is wonderful.  I'd get one, but I have a Pre-Heil Clear Speech and it's very good.
You can also buy the GAP "guts" and install inside your rig.  Same with the SGC units if still available.
W4RT sells the GAP units, so does Gigaparts.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: