Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap Mic for K2  (Read 617 times)
KC0QBP

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »

I've order a K2 and I can't wait to start building it. I've also ordered the KSB2 SSB option. But I have one issue: I need a mic.

Now until I'm more sure that this is a hobby I want to spend a lot of time on (the K2 is my first HF radio) I don't want to go and spend $150 on a mic.

So that's my issue. I don't need anything fancy at all, just something passable. The cheaper, the better. The little hand-held mics that seem to come with most radios from Kenwood, Icom, or Yeasu look about right to me. Are there any mics like that I can buy somewhere?

I've been looking, but all I've found are either good station mics (on bases, and expensive) or headsets (that are nice, and expensive).

Any ideas?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 03:28:28 PM »

Two sources for cheap microphones ...

(1) any hamfest or tailgate sale will have dozens of them.

(2) virtually every ham has a couple laying around. Go to your local ham club and ask there.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:13:54 PM »

Elecraft used to offer a reasonably priced hand mike for the K2 but I no longer see it on their web page. I believe it was under $50. You might drop them an e-mail and see what they recommend (or perhaps there are some recommendations in the SSB adapter manual). You want to make sure whatever mike you get is the correct impedance and output level for the K2.

You might also try a search on the Elecraft reflector. Surely there have been some posts about microphone selection for the K2.
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »

Yes, get a cheap mic, and spend the savings on a really good paddle! The K2 is one of the nicest CW rigs out there, I've already managed quite a bit of DX (at 10 watts) over the last few weeks since I finished mine.

Anyway back to the point, I've hooked up an Astatic 636L (about $30) to the K2, seems to work pretty well tho I don't use it much.

73 Mark.
N3OYA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:03 AM »

There is a very good solution - your local truck stop.  Dynamic microphones can be had quite inexpensively there.  I got one for less than $10.  I had to rewire the connector so that all of the pins matched my old Tempo One, but I ended up with a very nice microphone.

There'll be two questions you'll need to answer. First, what sort of connector comes with the K2/SSB?  I think it's 8-pin, but dunno for sure.  Second, does the K2 like a dynamic or electret mic?  

Answering those questions will help you further along.

73 de Bob N3OYA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: