Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large Diameter Coax  (Read 677 times)
KC8JPZ

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:49:10 PM »

I was just curious to see if anyone has used any of the larger diameter coax such as Andrew Heliax. I often have the opportunity to pickup 1 5/8" from my brother or sister who are both in the tower industry. Most of the time the cable is in good shape except for a bullet hole or two. The wireless companies generally replace the entire line. Would this just be impractical for amateur use?

Jim
KC8JPZ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:24:51 PM »

hi jim,

Low cost or free coax is always a good thing,
it's the connectors that are expensive.

Get all you can, you can always trade some
coax for connectors.

73 james
KC8JPZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »

I have a 5 gallon bucket of connectors,and have the connector tool.  Most are in good shape. Im just working on getting a place that I can utilize this type of equipment. I dont think the apartment complex would go fo the whole idea.

Jim
KC8JPZ
K6IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

1 5/8" Heliax is overkill for virtually any amateur application except for maybe 10 GHz+ ops up a tall tower.  The main problem I see with any hardline over 7/8", is the handling and routing difficulties.  If you had a fairly straight run, with few (if any) pass-through holes, setting up a 1 5/8" hardline run could be fairly simple.

Maybe you could trade for a smaller dia. Heliax?
KC8JPZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »

I guess I was pretty sure the 1 5/8" was going to be over kill. I do have plenty of 7/8" heliax which I have used before. Looks like maybe a trailer ride to Dayton for the big stuff. Unless someone around the area could use any. It could make ya sick to see how much of this stuff I've seen cut down and hauled to scrap in 10' chunks.

Thanks for the input.
KC8JPZ
Jim
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 01:35:08 AM »

Do grab all of this stuff you can!!!!    
If you cant use it for your own station right now, Someone else can!  
There recently have been several forums here and on QRZ asking how to operate VHF/UHF with a tower some distance from the hamshack.    Old cellphone tower heliax is PERFECT for that use!
As you said, It is a real shame to see it go for scrap in short lengths!
While going UP a typical ham tower with this 1 1/4" or 1 5/8" may be "overkill" except for the Ghz area, Using it to get two meter and UHF signals out TO a remote tower location is an ideal application!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: