Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless network routers  (Read 1403 times)
KC0LTV

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »

Does anybody here have any experience with wireless network routers in the ham shack?  My sister downstairs is getting a computer soon, and she will likely use my internet connection through a wireless network card.  Do you know of any 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz models that DO NOT generate horrible spurious emissions all over the ham / shortwave / broadcast bands?  The WildBlue modem already is enough of a problem.  Thank you for any suggestions!
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:18:44 PM »

I'm using a LinkSYS WRT54G and don't have any interference from it, wish I could say the same about my wild blue equipment. I go wired when I can. This router is all that was available at wally world, I use it wired for PCs and wireless for the PDA.

Good Luck.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »

I have a linksys router base router and two apple wireless routers (linked together in base and remote) and I have never had any problems one way or the other.  No interference into the wireless network and no interference from the wireless to the ham radio equipment.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:04:22 PM »

Linksys wireless router here - never a problem.  No interference on any band from 160 through 6 and it never hiccups when I'm running 1500 out on 160 through 10.  Had problems with Netgear wireless router - switching power supply in wall wart generated garbage everywhere.  
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 02:58:17 PM »

Same here. None what so ever.

Mike
KD8BVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 08:54:13 AM »

My Toshiba wireless router that is supplied by Time Warner works fine

N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:11:07 AM »

.....And since winding a choke balun right under my ground plane, I don't hear the interference from my WildBlue equipment.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 12:19:58 PM »

Linksys here and no problems.

73 de Ronnie
N4ABA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 08:20:05 AM »

I started with a Belkin wireless router....RFI all over 6m and 10m.  Couple of spurs on 17m as well.  Picked up a Netgear model WGT624 v3 and so far no interference.  The Belkin, with ferrites all over the place, was S9++ in some areas.  This is the twin antenna version....sorry, don't have the model number any longer.

Andrew
N4ABA
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 06:48:07 PM »

same here no problem i had it since 2005 of last year now running 3 pc's 2 in my bedroom and one for my father.like i said no problem,you are safe !

Jackie
KG4ORX
Website  http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 05:33:33 AM »

Using a Netgear wireless router here with no problems.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

I have an old Linksys BEFW-something or other. It is somewhat noisy on 7 and 14 MHz but the noise is radiated from the active (100 Mbit) ethernet cables, not the device itself. Toroid chokes on the ethernet cables cut it way down.

Some ethernet PHY chipsets are terrible, dunno about Gig-E. I can hear the builtin ethernet on my old Intel CA810 P-3 mobo a block away on HF. I disabled it and use a PCI card instead.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 09:56:38 AM »

The only problem you might have is not from the Router but from the Power Supply (Wall Wart).  Some of the ones being supplied today are switching supplies and can be as electrically noisy as all get out.  Make sure you get a linear power cube and it will be fine.

Clint - W5CPT
K6SGH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »

I have been using a linksys for a couple of years. The newer 802.11G have slightly higher power and work a little better...but not yet better enough for me to upgrade. A couple of recommendations:

1. if your router/accesspoint is across the house and possbily behind a few walls, either build or purchase a yagi style directional antenna.

2. my shack is across the house and i use a usb antenna. I have noticed that the signal strength can differ substantially with only a few inches movement of the antenna from any point. so i use a program called NETSTUMBLER which has a signal strength meter in it to adjust the positioning of my antenna. sometimes i can move the antenna 2 inches and have zero signal, so the signal strength meter is essential for me.  You can download (free) NetStumbler at: http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/  either version works. I use the light version.  

steve, k6sgh
VA2AEQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 01:54:01 PM »

I personally use an Apple Aiport Express. It works well with no real interference at HF.  When I boot up my laptop, my wireless card sees 3 different networks.  No discernable noise from any.

Dave....
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: