Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-735 repairs  (Read 832 times)
N5RED

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »

Several years ago a friend gave me a broken IC-735.  It looks like it has been dropped, the display is proken and something is rattling around inside.  The 735 is known for a being a good, but not outstanding radio and is not selling for big bucks on ebay.  So, is this radio worth getting repaired?  Do you have any recommendations for shops to do the work?  If I can get it up and going for under $200, it would be great.  More than that and I'll have to think about it.
NV5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »

Malcolm Technical Services
http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/
See reviews here:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1786
I highly recommend him.  Helped me with my old IC-730.
Rob
NV5E
N5RED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:49:17 PM »

Thanks for the pointer!

And don't tell me my IC-730 is old!  It's a fine radio that doesn't even glow in the dark!  The main reason I'm interested in fixing the 735 is because it's here and not working.  Broken "stuff" is bad.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »

In it's day (mid/late 80's) it was one of the best rigs being made.  I owned one and it was a true contest quality rig - at least on CW.  If you can get it restored to nearly new condition - you'll have something worth keeping.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:31:52 PM »

Don't sell the 735 short...it is a great radio and still commands a fair return when in good shape AND that silly little door is with it.  In my 47 years as a ham, rigs have come and rigs have gone but my 730 and 735 will have to be fought over in my estate.

That being said, MTS Service in Washington state is as good as you will find on planet Earth!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:29:23 AM by K0CBA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: