Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 660 times)
KC5VUW

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »

Ok. Here's the situation. I have a 23 foot tall mast with a 2 meter coper J-pole, a 4 element 6 meter beam, and a 6 meter copper loop attached to my house at the top corner of one of the arches. It is secured to the house with a heavy duty mast clamp. It is guyed in 3 places; one to the arch of the house, and the other two run at angles opposite of the one attached to the house and anchor to my fence. The mast is grounded to a 8 ft ground rod driven all the way in and the mast is connected to it by a half inch wide copper strap made of three pieces of shield from RG8 that is all braided together. My station is gounded to this and I have had no problems and performance is pretty good from my QTH at FM05. My dilemma is this: I have been tasked by the Army to go to Ft Dix, NJ for about 4 - 5 months and my wife is concerned with lightning and wind. Should I leave the tower in place, or take it down while I am away? My plan was to leave it up and disconnect all coax from their connections and put them outside on the ground. I am sure my ground is good.

Any thoughts?

Tim Pettigrew
Snaford, NC
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:04:06 PM »

I would disconnect what you can and not worry about it.
     Remember "You dont hear the one that gets ya'"
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:05:05 AM »

Make sure that you protect the connectors from the elements if you put them outside!

73, de Lindy
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

When I go away for any length of time, I disconnect every coax and put the ends outside [easy for me to do], but I cover the coax connections with freezer thickness plastic bags and several rubber bands [not good more than a period of weeks/month] to keep them from picking up any water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: