Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with HF rig , Which one  (Read 571 times)
W6WTG

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:35:23 PM »

Ok I have the chance to get either a Yeasu FT2000, Kenwood Pro111 or the Ten Tech.

I enjoy dxing mainly and CW and digital isnt my thing.

They are the same price, same power and all have the same coverage.

Anyone has any suggestions or problems with any of these choices?
Thanks
Terry
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »

Is that 3 choices or 4?  That is, either you said Kenwood when you meant Icom Pro III or you are saying Kenwood and alternatively a Pro III.

I own a Pro III and I really like it.  I would buy another today in spite of all the choices that are available as you listed.  My second choice would probably be the Yaesu.  I would not buy a Ten-Tec in spite of the great performance.  They have a cheap feel to them and I don't like the hassle of the operating approach merely to get that last bit of performance.
W6WTG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »

Thanks for the reply. That should have been a Icom Pro111 and not a Kenwood Pro111.

Terry
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »

The Pro-III is now a long production rig with a very good reliability factor.  Most of the Ten-Tec's have good reliability as well.  The FT-2000 at first glance appears to be doing OK in spite of a few DOA instances.  I went to HRO last week and played with the FT-2000 and the PRO 3.  The FT-2000 has dozens of Knobs on the front of the rig which is a Plus.  The Pro-III is more of a menu-drive rig, but the important basic controls are knob driven.  The display screen on the Pro-III is better looking in person than on any photo i've ever seen. Just from a reliability standpoint - the Pro-III is probably a safer bet.  The FT-2000 is however a really incredible
sounding rig although it's very new and could be prone to problems.  Both rigs are very good.  Enjoy your selection.  Oh - I would have no trepidation buying a Ten-Tec rig.  I have a new Argo V and it's wonderful.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:52 PM »

I'd probably pick the ORION-II for all-out performance, especially if I have it connected to really good antennas.

However, the PRO-III has a nicer display and is an excellent rig.  The FT-2000 is developing a following but is still pretty new, and of course lacks the spectrum display of the PRO-III or the ORION-II.

You said they all have the same "coverage," but that isn't quite right: The PRO-III and FT-2000 both cover six meters while the ORION-II does not.  Whether this extra band is of value to you is a personal choice.

WB2WIK/6
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

If the TenTec is the ORION ll, get it.  The new OMNI 7 is probably not a good choice now.  There are going to be bugs.  I have all three radios and the ORION ll is my favorite and the favorite of every body  that has tried them at my shack.  It is also, I think, the easiest to use.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: