Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom AH-4 vs. SGC SG-237 Comparisons  (Read 1909 times)
AB0RE

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:42 PM »

Greetings,

I'm moving shortly and am in the planning stages of putting together a new HF station.  The lot is going to be small (40' x 132'), so it appears a random wire tuner may be my best bet.  I can probably get ~100' of wire to run SW / NE (in Southwest Minnesota), with the tuner mounted to the house somewhere in between.

I'm considering going with either the Icom AH-4 or the SGC SG-237 tuner.  I've read the reviews for both here on eHam, but am looking for feedback from people who've had experience with both of these tuners.  

From what I've read it appears the SG-237 tunes a wider range with a 102" whip (should I ever decide to use it mobile), but appears to require additional protection if mounted outdoors.  I'm interested in hearing what other comparisons can be made between the two tuners.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Dan / ab0re
AC9TS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »

I have the AH4 but I also have an IC718 XCVR. The two were made for each other. The tuner is mounted in the attic and is connected to a 75 foot loop.  I ran a 4 (?) wire control cable and the coax to the radio and plugged it right in.  The tune button on the front of the IC718 makes tuning a breeze.  One touch and done.

Your choice may also hinge on the rig you are connecting to as well as how much interfacing you want to attempt if the tuner doesn't match the radio.

Tom - AC9TS
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »

When faced with the same decision, I chose the Icom over the SGC.  Initiating a match from a button on the transceiver gives me more control over the coupler and prevents the possibility of entering tune-mode when not necessary (slight changes in SWR as the mobile antenna passes various structures).  In order to have the same degree of control with an SGC you must purchase an optional control unit.  I have read reports about SGC tuners being very sensitive to their grounding scheme.  The Icom tuners are a little more forgiving in this regard.

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: