Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A-frame Desk  (Read 781 times)
W4JBB

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:32:10 AM »

A while back, I found either plans or a purchasable desk specifically for amateur radio.  It was built as an a-frame.  The desk top was on rails and would slide out for easy connection/removal of connections.  If memory serves, it also had at least one shelf above the desktop.

Does anyone know of or know where I can view this desk again?

Tnx es 73,
de W4JBB, Joel
W4JBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:42:47 AM »

Ok, after a little more searching in the forums, I found it myself:

http://www.hamdesk.com/

73 de W4JBB, Joel
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:29:03 PM »

Gee, that's pretty neat looking for an amateur station - even my wife thinks that looks good.

And I'm getting ready to consider upgrading the furniture in the station and getting a larger bench.

Not quite as much room as I'd like to have, but probably more than I really need, which means it's probably perfect....<Grin>

Thanks for pointing this out to me.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »

For the amount of money this gentleman wants for his product you could buy a luxury desk combination from any of the office supply companies and have four to five times the operating space.

My L-desk and upright storage has almost 9 lineal feet of desktop, 29 inches deep, an upright set of shelving and two, two-drawer file cabinets and cost less than $200 - roughly a third of the overpriced product we are talking about.

It does look nice, but there are MANY more cost effective solutions out there that will give you much more for your money.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:53 PM »

LOL!

Yea, well, if 'cost effectiveness' were still operative around my QTH, I would not need a new desk as my old plywood one would still be around.  We are talking 42" deep of surface area that that beauty had, as well as two 24" deep shelves and a 12" deep shelf, PLUS another 24 linear feet of 24" deep shelving on one side.  But really, 2x6 construction is no longer my thing.

I've looked at used office desks and to be honest, none of them would even come close to making SWMBO happy.  And since SHE does not object to the spending of the $$ on radio gear, the least I can do is make her proud to show her friends my radio room by making it look nice.  Not everyone is into the WWII Bletchly Park look eh?

W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »

I have owned a HamDesk since Fletch first started building them and I can attest that the product and service deserve a '10' on the eHam Scale of 1 - 5. I have posted a review here on eHam.

Everyone who sees my station loves the HamDesk and that includes my XYL and her friends!

You can see my set-up here, on QRZ and at W7TBC.ORG.

My $00.02!

J
W4JBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »

Lon,

I respect your opinion, but I have -yet- to find a piece of quality "wood" furniture at any office furniture store that I like.  Most of the furniture at these places is made of pressed wood and will begin to sag after only a few years.  Not only that, this type of material is extremely dense and heavy - just not very durable.  I just recently removed a $300 desk from my house that was purchased from an office furniture store - it fell apart as I took it out.  It was removed because it began sagging, and, generally looked like crap.

I am currently using a real wood desk, but it is a "banker's" desk and places the monitor too high to be comfortable.

Is the hamdesk overpriced?  I don't know.  I would have to know the exact materials and the amount of time it took to build it.  Figure about $40 for the birch plywood on top and another $30 - 40 for the other wood.  $30 or so (at least) for the hardware, you have $100 - $110 in materials.  Figure in 5 - 6 hours of labor at around $85 / hour (a common, tradesman rate), you have yourself $535 - 620 right there in materials and labor if I did my math right.  Hey, I could build it, but I have three kids and a wife and don't have time, so, yeah, I'm willing to let someone else do it.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

I'm awaiting my Hamdesk on order from Fletcher, and looking forward to receiving it.  He's a pleasure to deal with.

Chuck  NI0C
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

I too have looked around for many years trying to find a suitable desk. Most of the stuff you see at the computer stores offers only 20-24" of front to back area which is too short in my opinion. I ended up buying a surplus office desk, 30" x 60" for $35. Solid metal frame will support the heaviest of gear. I then bought a 16" x 96" melamine shelf at Home Depot for $12 and had it cut to the sizes I wanted for my equipment. New shelves can be added as the station changes. Simple and cheap. You can see a picture of it on qrz.com My flat screen monitor and 920 used to be reversed in their position but I found the 920 easier to tune around in the digital contests using my left hand and using the mouse with the right.

VE3TMT,  Max
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »

YL gave the nod and I've placed my order.  Prompt reponse and estimated 4-6 weeks to shipping.

Ooooh!  I get to build a new station, and it's moving to a new dedicated space.  I'll finally get enough room.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: