Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG-Z11 Pro or MFJ-993B tuner..??  (Read 2680 times)
KE5BRE

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »

Hello Team and pardon my ignorance..

Not sure what to get..!!!

Both reviews LOOK GOOD.

LDG Z-11Pro ($170): Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.2/5
MFJ993B ($260):     Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.8/5

I used to have an MFJ manual tuner, it worked fine but never like the quality and craftsmanship of the end product.

I have seen in person the Z-100 and the quality of the product is much better than the MFJ.

The only things I see with the Z-11Pro is that is like $90.00 cheaper than the 993B and is missing the 4:1 balun, but you can get it from LDG for $30.00 more, so that will make the Z-11Pro w/balun $200.

Do you really need all the "bells & whistles" from the MFJ 993B...Huh

* Lighted Cross-Needle and digital meters lets you accurately read SWR, forward and reflected power at a glance.

* An audio SWR meter lets you hear the tuned SWR when you can’t see/read meters.

* Highly visible, instant response SWR LCD bargraph when you need it.

* Backlit LCD displays SWR, forward/reflected power, frequency, antenna 1 or 2, L/C tuner values, on/off indicators and other information.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-993B

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/products.php?cID=1&pID=9&v=1

MFJ-993B: 20,000 Memories.
LDG Z-11Pro: 8,000 Memories.

Do I really need the 20,000 memories..?? What happens when you out of "memories"...??

Thanks.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »

This is kind of an apples/oranges comparison.  The Z11 handles 125 watts max with no metering.  The 993B handles up to 300 watts with digital and analog metering and includes A & B switchable coax outputs and an internal balun.

I have had an MFJ-929 for quite awhile.  I also have an MFJ-994B that I use with my ALS-600 amplifier.  Both work great.  I have reviews of both on my website at www.ad5x.com.  For portable use, I just got a MFJ-925 since it is more compact than the MFJ-929.  It only has one RF connector and LED indicators instead of the LCD metering - very similar to the Z11Pro, though the MFJ-925 is a little larger (but also handles 200 watts).

So - a lot of choices out there.  Have fun deciding!

Phil - AD5X

AI4LG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »

First, I don't own and haven't used the MFJ - so I can't comment on it.  Second, I have no connection to LDG other than I use and like their products. That said, I really love my LDG Z-11 Pro with my FT-897d. Some of the positives:

1. Can run a long time (year +) on 8 AA's mounted inside the case! Great for portable/mobile use.

2. Selectable modes: Autotune, semiauto, manual touch-up, and Hi Z/Low Z antennas

3. Selectable SWR threshold for autotune

4. LED displays SWR when transmitting.

4. Unique memory setup that in conjunction with the LDG DTS-4 coax switch lets you run 4 seperate HF antennas with autotune for each one.  The Z-11 Pro has 8000 seperate memory slots arranged in 4 banks. Within each bank, each of the 2000 slots is associated with a given frequency range. Thus one frequency can have 4 different L-C solutions. When automatically tuning, the Z-11 Pro senses the frequency, associates it with the appropriate 4
slots, tests all 4 stored memory contents against the preselected SWR threshold and automatically selects the best match to whatever is on the port - faster than you can blink an eye. If no match, it goes into tune mode and generally matches in less than a few seconds.  The beauty of this 3-D memory is that it in effect remembers not only the frequency but the associated antenna! Couple it with an LDG DTS-4 coax switch, and it's like having a seperate auto tuner for each antenna. This was a MAJOR factor in my choosing the Z-11 Pro. Awesome technology elegantly executed.

There is a great explanation of this on W4RT Electronics at http://www.w4wb.com/index.htm Look at Block 4 - Frequency-Sensing Memory Tune.

5. Will tune all types - verticals, dipoles, beams, and long wires or ladder fed(with a balun).

6. Support from Dwayne Kincaid at LDG that is unbeatable!

My only negative - sounds like a blender with ice cubes while it does the initial tune! But I just think "margaritas!" and the noise is done before I know it!

You can download the manual from http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/261/product-manuals

If it meets your power out range, the Z-11 Pro is my vote. It does "Get her done!"

Rick - AI4LG
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

I own a MFJ-993B for about a year now, I like it. I've never had any other brand of tuner besides MFJ. THe 993 is a pretty good sized unit, might be something to think about if you operate mobile or portable. The positives - analog / digital SWR indicators, wattmeter, frequency counter, built in balun, built in antenna switch, a ton of memories and it matches just about anything you might throw at it. It does make noise when searching for a match - it's relay clatter, but once the unit learns the righ combo it only clicks once as it tunes from memory. I have no gripes about the unit and would buy another should the need arise.
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »

I've owned the 993B for over a year now.  It really works great on 40m and up when the SWR is reasonable. However, it won't take 100 watts on my 80 meter inverted-L across the entire band.  My antenna is cut for the CW portion and takes full power very easily.  It will tunes up just fine in the SSB portion of 80 meters but won't take any power.  I've tried a variety of antenna configurations but no luck. The higher capacitace required in the L-network is probably the issue.  So while the 993B is a nice tuner, it's not going to be able to tune anything you throw at it.

73, Doug NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: