Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Inverter noise ???  (Read 661 times)
VE3VID

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »

The station I'm setting up is on a farm, on a meadow hill top, totaly in the clear. A Delhi68 tower, and an old travel trailer w/ woodstove.  1000ft from the house means no AC.  So I'm using 2 big marine deep cycle batteries, with a Xantrex 500w inverter.

I've noticed the power inverter makes some nasty howling heterodyne QRM on the HF rig. The tone and amplitude of the QRM changes based on what I've got plugged into the inverter.

I tried grounding the inverter chasis, and passing the power bar cord a couple turns thru a small toroid, but the noise persists.

Has anyone solved this before?  Do I need more turns thru a bigger toroid?  Heavy grounded shielding around the inverter & power cords?

Thanks for any suggestions
David
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:29:58 PM »

A lot of Inverters produce some less than an acceptable sine wave. Some of the older ones actually put a Square Wave. There was an article in QST not long ago, though I don't remember what month that dealt with just that. Try searching on ARRL.org.

Clint - W5CPT

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »

hi David,

Is running the radio off the batteries an option ?

What items are you running off the inverter ?

73 james
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:30 AM »

Hi James.....yes, the Kenwood 450 is powered direct off the batteries - made the most sense.

The inverter powers a laptop computer; Kenwood AT250 antenna tuner; a small desk lamp; and the rotator for the tribander.

The tuner could go 12v, but the laptop screen stinks when its running on its own battery cuz it goes to low power.

dg
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:36:41 PM »

I run my entire hamshack from the SINGLE deep cycle battery.
I would just ditch the  inverter that has lots of loss anyhow and get a laptop that can run directly from the battery supply.     Run it ALL directly from the battery..............  Eliminate the middleman noisemaker

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »

LED lights suck lots less battery power, And only run the AC when you actually need to turn the rotor or tuner. Better yet, Get a manual tuner....... I am happy with my Nye-Viking MB-V-A..... NO AC required.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »

hi david,

not sure of your laptop brand, some can run off
12vdc direct or use a travel adapter to run the
laptop from a car or airplane power source.

73 james
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »

Alright lads.....yes all very good points. Buying 'another' laptop is low on the list since I just got this one, spec for the shack too.

James,  its a Dell P4 C640 2Ghz.  I'll do some snooping about to see if Dell has any options - good idea.

I'll see what ARRL archives has to say about inverters too

Thanks all........

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: