Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: radiio station gear...  (Read 721 times)
KC2PTA

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »

ok i need to know what is good to have in a station? i have:
ic-706mk2g
2/440 ground plane
g5rv
power suply

do i need:
 swr meter
antenna tuner?
dummy load?
what else am i forgetting?

1 more thing, i want to create a ssb station. is there any difference in fm station in apose to ssb station?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »

Don't forget an external speaker, "on the air" light, headphones, computer, desk mike, world map, and pegboard to mount your QSL cards.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »

How about a tower to hold the antennas up? (Or at least a mast of some type) Along with some ground rods and heavy copper to properly ground the mast or tower.

Low loss LMR-400 coax for the VHF/UHF antenna (And keep the overall length as short as possible, Under 70 feet for sure)
Some RG-8X coax for HF, (Or Belden RG-213 coax if you want to go first class)

You would only need to borrow the VSWR meter to check the antennas when they are first installed. You really dont need to own one right away.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:47:33 AM »

is there any difference in fm station in apose to ssb station?

No

You really need to get some basic books, like ARRL, and do your homework.  Your questions are too basic to answer.  

Kinda like, I want to race in NASCAR, what do I need?

There's a lot more to that than just a car!
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »

Your radio has a built-in SWR meter -- at least for HF. So, as far as HF is concerned, you don't need another SWR meter.

You have a G5RV HF antenna. That's not a lot of information to go on because many different types of antennas carry that name -- even some that aren't really G5RVs at all -- or at least not the original design. But I suspect you would benefit from having an antenna tuner -- or transmatch as they are more appropriately called. Although your antenna is probably multi-band, it probably doesn't offer a good SWR on all bands so a transmatch will be needed to use it on some bands.

A dummy load is a very nice item to have. Tuning on the air can be very annoying to others -- even rude. Headphones are nice to have, just like an external speaker but I wouldn't call either a necessity.

Just remember -- the key to success with any ham radio station -- HF or VHF -- is the antenna. Spending money to improve your antenna system is always the best return on investment (performance).

73 and good luck,
N4KZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

>radiio station gear...       Reply
by KC2PTA on May 22, 2007    Mail this to a friend!
ok i need to know what is good to have in a station? i have:
ic-706mk2g
2/440 ground plane
g5rv
power suply

do i need:
swr meter
antenna tuner?
dummy load?
what else am i forgetting?

1 more thing, i want to create a ssb station. is there any difference in fm station in apose to ssb station?<

::We're not allowed to use FM on HF except above 29.0 MHz on ten meters, so I presume your question pertains to VHF.  Yes, there's a lot of difference between FM and SSB on VHF, and all of the difference (besides flipping the mode switch on your radio) is in the antennas.  VHF FM work is all vertically polarized, while VHF SSB work is all horizontally polarized.  FM work is mostly line-of-sight or close to it, while SSB work is mostly much farther distances and relies on tropospheric forward scatter, with much weaker signals...but those signals are generally from much farther away.  They're a lot more "workable" if you use horizontally polarized BEAM antennas, on rotators, than if you use horizontally polarized omnidirectional antennas like loops and halos.  So, again, all the difference between "FM" and "SSB" on VHF lies with the antennas -- the bigger they are, and the higher they are, the more stations you can contact.  Using vertical ground planes on 2m and 70cm for SSB work is an exercise in futility and frustration, as almost nobody will hear you.

Also, I see you have a Tech license.  If you know code, you can use sections of 80m, 40m, 15m and 10m CW and the G5RV will come in handy for that.  If you don't know code, the only phone privileges you have are on 10 meters, from 28.3 to 28.5 MHz, SSB only (no FM allowed on 10m for Techs), and the G5RV antenna is *NOT* a good choice at all.  A CB "ground plane" for 11m will work better, 100% of the time, than a G5RV for ten meters.  I guarantee it.   There are lots of technical reasons why this is so, but suffice it to say, from practical experience, the G5RV is not a good ten meter antenna, compared with almost anything else.

The IC-706MK2G does not have an internal antenna tuner, and a G5RV for HF absolutely requires the use of one.  So, if you do intend to use the G5RV for HF work, one accessory item you'd need immediately is an antenna tuner.  Most HF antenna tuners have built-in SWR meters, so if you buy a typical antenna tuner, you probably would not also need to buy an SWR meter for it.  

If you plan to upgrade to General, where you'll have a lot more HF privileges, the G5RV isn't a bad all-round HF antenna.  It's not "stellar," but it can get you on a lot of bands quickly, if you use a good tuner with it.  It won't do much of anything for you without the tuner.

Find a local "Elmer" if you can to visit and evaluate your situation.  G5RVs can work either quite well or terribly badly depending on exactly how they're installed.  The installation is more important than the design or materials, and if you have no experience with antennas, get some help.

WB2WIK/6

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »

WB2WIK wrote, "We're not allowed to use FM on HF except above 29.0 MHz on ten meters..."

Not true!

Unless I misunderstand ยง97.307(f)(1), it says, "No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index greater than 1 at the highest modulation frequency."  

You can use FM ANYWHERE that phone operation is allowed EXCEPT for the 60 meter band where USB is the only mode allowed.  The restriction on FM (or PM, or any other "angle modulation" mode) below 29.000 MHz is that the modulation index cannot exceed 1.  This means when the maximum modulation frequency is 3000 Hz (typical for most "modern" transceivers) that the deviation cannot exceed +/- 3 KHz.  Above 29.000 MHz the modulation index can exceed 1.  In fact, the "typical" amateur deviation of +/- 5 KHz results in a modulation index of 1.66667 with the 3000 Hz maximum modulation frequency.

Many "modern" transceivers have a "narrow" FM position which reduces the deviation to a maximum of +/- 2.5 KHz which results in a modulation index of 0.83333 which complies with the "maximum" modulation index of 1.

Now FM operation is not common on HF (except for the 10 meter band - i.e. 29.600 MHz).  However, FCC regulations definitely allow FM except in the 60 meter band.

Scott N0IU

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:59 AM »

True, UNBFM (Ultra Narrow Band Frequency Modulation) is allowed below 29.0.  I never hear anybody using it, or attempting to.  One reason might be that the rig manufacturers won't guarantee they can contain the index below 1.0, although I'd think that with SDR's (software defined radios) this ought to be possible to control with hard factory presets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: