Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-450 or Kenwood TS480SAT  (Read 2409 times)
VK4RQA

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »

Hi All, I am looking at purchasing a new rig and have the Yaesu FT450 or the Kenwood TS480 Sat in mind. Can anyone point me to which is best value for a buck.
Cheers
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »

How about the 570?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:48:50 AM »

Ditto the TS-570SG - the S version includes 6m.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K2TPZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 07:34:55 AM »

The TS 570S is a good radio, but that wasn't exactly the question.  The TS 480SAT(or HX at 200 watts)is an excellent radio.  In fact, it is as good as the IC 7000 that also rivals the IC 746PRO (as hams who have both have told me).

The FT 450 is newer and has some unique bells and whistles, plus IF DSP.  Right now the price of the FT 450 seems to be going down and is probably a bargain, but I don't think it is at the TS 480 level of performance.  It would be great if you could sit in front of both of them and operate them a while. Sometimes that's the best way to decide.

73s,

Mike  

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »

I've been using a 480SAT for a couple of years and it's a very nice rig for SSB or CW.  One thing to be aware of: Many buyers of new 480SAT and HX have had problems with the output power on SSB being very low, in some cases around 60% of what it should be. This problem can be corrected by running through the alignment steps in the service manual, but some special test equipment items are required that you might not have.  If possible, check the SSB output at the dealer before taking it home and don't accept one with low output.  Note that the CW output in the rigs in question is always at 100W as it should be, but the SSB output is low.  Every time this subject comes up, some misinformed souls will try to convince you that there's something wrong with your wattmeter or that a 100 watt SSB rig should put out only 60 watts!  Use a good peak-reading wattmeter for the test.  You should be able to achieve 100W out on SSB.  
VK4RQA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »

Thanks all for your info. I realise the FT450 is still new, not yet available in Australia. From the info I have found on the net, the Kenwood is the way to go.
73's to all...VK4ZXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: