Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Switching  (Read 716 times)
K4SHF

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:00:09 AM »

Just purchased an Ameritron RCS-10 remote antenna switch.  Temporary hookups seem to work great.  The manual shows two 6" turns of coax for each connection, it infers these are "drip" loops...I wonder if they are also decoupling for RF off the shield.

I'm using LMR-400, rather stiff to bend but not impossible but I'd rather just run straight down.  My switch is installed on a piece of rigid conduit put in the ground for this purpose.....so all coax runs direct up from ground.

Do I need these so called "drip loops" or is that all they really are is "drip loops".

Comments?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:23:03 AM »

Drip loops are designed to decouple something from the coax = rain.

They are a trick so that rain doesn't run down the outside of the coax and straight into the connector and/or the unit.  Yes they are needed.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »

Yes, Just be careful when you make the coils, LMR-400 WILL make those loops OK.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:34 AM »

Drip loops don't have to be a complete turn. The idea is to make sure that the coax leaving the switch goes down hill before it makes the upturn. It keeps water from running into the connector and the switch.

If they were meant to function as RF chokes, they would specify multiple turns (6 or so, depending on frequency).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: