Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about several transceivers  (Read 756 times)
SQ9AOJ

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »

Hello

I wonder, which trx to buy: ICOM IC-718,
ICOM IC 706 MKIIG or KENWOOD TS-480 SAT (HX).
I have decided to buy a trx in a shop, not
a second-hand trx.
My financial conditions do not allow me
to buy more expensive transceivers.
I am interested especially in DX-ing.
What do you think about these transceivers ?

e-mail: sq9aoj@poczta.onet.pl

Lukasz SQ9AOJ
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »

A couple of years ago, I won an IC-706 MKIIG at a hamfest and used it on HF for a couple of months.  I sold it and bought a used TS-480 SAT - a much better transceiver for DXing with a very logical and well laid out front panel and menus. You mentioned the 480 SAT and then HX.  The 100W SAT model includes a built-in tuner, but the 200 watt HX model has no tuner.  If you operate CW, and have CW filters installed, the 480 switches in the proper filter as you narrow the DSP bandwidth.  I have the 500 and 270 Hz filters installed.  I don't think there's any advantage to using the optional 1,8 KHz filter on SSB as the IF shift narrows the passband down quite well.  I don't think the DSP noise reduction or "beat cancel" functions in the 480 work as well as those in my Timewave DSP-9+ and I have that unit in the audio chain as a result.  I like the separate front panel on the 480 quite well and the little stand they provide makes it quite stable on the desktop if you tilt the panel back just a bit.  The 480 has a built-in RS-232 interface for computer control without need for a separate level converter or cable.  The command set for computer control is very complete and I've run the 480 remotely over the Internet using the Kenwood free software with great success.  There have been no problems or issues with the 480 in the two years I've used it.  It's still my 6 meter rig.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »

I've used all 3 you mention.  The Icom 718 is a fair rig filtered (only has one slot for either ssb or cw filter).  It's almost bulletproof in terms of reliability.  The 706 is very reliable but not a good DX rig.  It's receiver is not too selective.

The TS-480 is a fine rig with quite the wonderful receiver.  Check out the ARRL review if you are a member.  Read the reviews here on Eham.  I'd go with the TS-480.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

If you're on a limited budget, I'd go with the IC-718 and spend the extra budgeted money on a good antenna system.
W3TUA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:23:09 AM »

The 718 is reliable and solid. You can't go wrong for the price.

The 706 is HF/VHF/UHF and is great if you want an all-in-one package. Mine did a great job in Iraq as a portable workhorse.

Kenwood TS-480's are nice as well and have a better receiver than both the other transceivers but you give up the VHF/UHF capability.
Good luck.

Korey--W3TUA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: