Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuners and meters Q  (Read 568 times)
KC5HMC

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »

I finally got a base station ( TS-520SE ) and have a few questions about the use of an antenna tuner and SWR meter. I am using a MFJ-945E tuner which has a SWR meter built in. I also have a Daiwa SWR meter that I would like to use because I know that it is fairly accurate ( compared to a Bird 43 ). My question is, can I use the Daiwa SWR meter in line with the MFJ-945E? Will having two SWR meters cause problems as far as correct readings?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:55:27 AM »

Yes,  No
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »

Yes, you can use both meters.  Don't expect them to agree with each other, or even to be close to each other necessarily.  If you've compared the one to a Bird and it appears reasonably accurate, then I'd ignore the built in meter completely.

Don't put too much focus on swr.  There are other factors involved in having an efficient antenna that are more important.  A 50 ohm resistor will show a 1:1 swr, but isn't likely to radiate very well!

The next thing you should get is an ARRL Antenna book, and let the education begin.

73, Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: