Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help  (Read 625 times)
K0BLR

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »

Hi everyone,

My name is Ben. My callsign is K0BLR. I am writing this because I need help choosing between the 746pro and the TS-2000. It seems like I am getting mixed msgs from the reviews here on eham so I am writing here. My question is this. I am looking to "enhance" my radio room here at the house. Right now I have a FT-100,FT-8900 and IC-229H. I'm thinking getting a base rig for the low bands and keeping the FT-100 as back up. So the 2 radios I am looking at is either the IC-746pro or the TS-2000. Is one better than the other? if so why?

Ben K0BLR
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:52 PM »

Get the TS-2000.     The "cross band repeat" feature is worth it alone!!!!!!   A great radio for casual use!  (And it does a LOT!)

The 746PRO might be "slightly" better in a few areas that I bet you would never notice!
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »

Which radio you get would depend on where your interests lie.  If, like me your primary focus is on dxing and contesting, then get the Pro.  If you are satisfied with general rag chewing and are really concerned with V/UHF capability in one box, then get the 2000.

One thing to remember with an all band radio...there are compromises made to get it to do this.  As such, there are things it won't do as well as a radio dedicated to VHF, and another on UHF and so on.  Additionally, if you have a problem you are just flat off the air until its fixed.
K0BLR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »

thank you to the both of you.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »

I would encourage you to read or re-read the QST product reviews for both of these radios. Both do a lot and offer a good bang for the buck. The Kenwood even offers a few more bells and whistles but when it comes to the all-important receiver and its ability to reject nearby strong signals, one radio is the clear winner.

73, N4KZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: