Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM AH-4 vs AH-3  (Read 1329 times)
K7MDO

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2007, 07:30:52 AM »

I acquired a (new to me) used IC-756 that I want to integrate into my station.... the station right now has an IC-718 with an AH-4 tuner outdoors and it is attached to my 200' end fed long wire antenna.  I want to use the same antenna with the IC-756 but the IC-756 makes no provision for an end fed long wire and its manual only talks about the use of the AH-3... QUESTION: does anyone know if the AH-4 can be directly substituted for the AH-3?  I am betting the AH-4 was developed after the IC-756 went obsolete...

The IC-756 does have its own internal tuner but it terminates in a coax connector and so is not suitable for the long wire set up....

This is not a huge problem but the antenna I have tunes well on 160 thru 10 meters with the highest swr on any of these bands at 2:1 so I would like to just use it for the new radio. 73, Tom
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »

Well, to answer my own question, the AH-4 seems to work perfectly.... it seems the internal tuner in the Icom is associated with ANT 2 and that the ANT 1 commection is untuned... so far that is my understanding anyway... and the AH-3 and AH-4 have the same connecor and pinouts so when I plugged it in and tried it, it works!!

I have sure read a lot of good/bad on the IC-756... but in one evening of getting aquainted with it I was impressed by it... however, my only comparison is my IC-718 which my "non-ham" wife gets tired of me saying "what a great rig!!".  

Now I am in the quandry of which filters to purchase and install.... I have been happy with the 500 hz filter in the -718 but the -756 has room for a second filter in the 9 mHz intermediate as well as in the 455 kHz intermediate.  

I primarily use digital (rtty/psk) but might also do a little SSB so what to do?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73 K7MDO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: