Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do to build a Ham-friendly house?  (Read 1202 times)
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 04:01:49 AM »

There are so many Great Ideas listed, and some Good laughs. But also try to consider your Shack or ROOM Temperature needs while possible in building, with Cooling and Heating, and/or Relative Humidity??? I tell ya there are many operators using 3-500Z amps, and equipment and lighting that really can warm up a shack in a hurry, not to mention the NOISE of Fans, Window A/C's, etc that get into your Mic audio!!! in that regards consider if you have a guest bedroom area in the location of the shack, that would allow the use of an added or extra smaller Central unit, with your shack location with that Thermostat??? If that is not an OPTION, then at least "add extra Return air ductwork inlet" in your shack room, to your home system. (Then at worst case, you can argue about the temperature setpoints later...Hahahahahaha) God Bless you all DE N5JFJ (Jerry)
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

Only one ham touched on this, but it's the MOST IMPORTANT consideration of all- LOCATION! A hilltop is best, but at least make sure you've got a clear shot to the horizon in all desired directions. The tops of any nearby hills should be no more than 3 or 4 degrees above your property.

The next most important consideration is covenants. Make sure you'll be able to install a tower or two BEFORE you sign a contract.
KC1BUD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »

"A column of earth won't work. Earth is actually a lousy conductor. If you measure the resistance between an 8' ground rod driven into your soil at one location and another 8' ground rod driven into your soil at another location, it will be "a lot" of resistance. Almost any conductor or semi-conductor is better."

In my case that wouldn't hold true. I live in an area with soil that is mostly sand. about 4 foot below the surface is the water table so an 8 foot rod would be well into the water table. Even with a high water table, I have no problems with drainage.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: