Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig vs. monitor placement dilemma......  (Read 798 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:00:40 AM »

I recently built a small shelf with numerous cubby holes for each piece of equipment.  The shelf runs the entire length of the desk, and has a hole custom sized, and centered on my desk for my main HF rig; it's perfectly located.  Directly above the radio is a 19" LCD monitor used for contest logging, PSK31, and numerous other uses.  I thought it was going to be a great place for it, but being about 14" off the desk, it forces me to look upwards to see it and this puts a real crook in the neck after a few hours in front of the rig.  If I place it down and in front of me, it would require offsetting the radio from its center position.  I've thought of using a pantograph for the screen, but haven't followed thru with that yet. The monitor has become an integral part of the station, so I'm wondering how everyone else places their monitor and rig.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »

I hate to say this because it is a money thing but who knows, you may be a billionaire or the latest winner of a huge lottery pot.

I have somewhat the same problem though I don't really have as elaborate of a shelf setup as you do.  The problem is that a screen takes considerable real estate and right now I am using a laptop but it is a laptop designed for my work type stuff and not one that is small to be used along side my rig.

So, I am looking for one of those smaller laptop computers with a 12 inch screen like a Sony Vaio or something of that sort.  Although I have been looking for used, I may buy new.  Having a smaller laptop right next to my operating position is the way to go I think.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

I have my rig and monitor placed so that if I look straight ahead, I see radio, with the monitor to the right.  An LCD monitor helps here a lot.  My station is heavily computer dependent also, but when you come down to brass tacks I can play radio without the computer if need be.  I'd just hate to go back afterwards to do the data entry.  Did that once when I converted to computer logging and that was enough.

Going back to paper for contest logging would be a real drag, too!
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:19:25 PM »

My shelf only runs from the right side of my large desk to 3/4 to the left.  On left on the desk is my computer tower and the monitor, properly and ergonomically located on the desk top.  The main rig is right in the center where I like it.  Off to the left is the amp and other lessor controlled stuff.  The antenna rotators and switches are located above the rig.

A good chair helps also.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »

My LCD computer screen is on a swing arm, just like my mike.  I can move it around, depending on which rig I am using at the time!
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

Rig on desk, monitor above it, both directly in front of my operating position.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: