Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with new Yaesu FT897D, G5RV& tuner setup  (Read 900 times)
GHDUTCH

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »

Just got a new Yaesu ft-897D, using a ASTRON SS 30M power supply and a diamond x50a for 2m, seems to be doing well, have that antenna on 9 foot pole, not sure if thats to low or what.
My big big problem is that I just bought a G5rv antenna and a LDG AT100 Pro tuner.  I'm really confused as to how to hook the tuner up with the 897d regarding the power.  Can anyone help in explaining how to do that in laymens terms.  I'm just getting started in the venture, and I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed.  The instructions for both the tuner hook up and antenna end assembly are very limited in diagrams etc., so any insite would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:39:31 PM »

The tuner needs 13.8 volts from your power supply.  Fuse the line at 1 amp.

The short coax jumper that came with your AT-100 connects it to the HF output of the FT-897.

The output of the tuner then to the antenna.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that your antenna came with a coax connection and coax to run to the tuner?  It appears you can feed the ladder line directly from the coax and thus to the tuner.  No balun appears necessary in this installation.
GHDUTCH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:01:03 AM »

Thanks for helping, this is all so new,
So off the back of the at100 connect the jumper cable to the TX output and connect the end to the back of the 897D HF antenna connection.  
Is it my understanding the 897d will be able to use/see both antennas?  I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to understand.

thanks in advance for your help

Rick
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »

Your radio will automatically select the output SO-239 appropriate for your band:  One is 2 meters and up, the other 6 meters and down.

You almost never need a tuner for the VHF/UHF output as the antenna typically have enough bandwidth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: