Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sutiable table and other things  (Read 838 times)
K0BLR

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »

Good afternoon everyone,

Well one thing is for sure. I am going with the TS-2000. My back up rig will be a FT-100 with a manual MFJ-969 tuner. So here's my question does anyone know of any building plans for radios? right now my table consits of at plastic table that is 6 1/2 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide. With all the current weight it is start to warp so I will have to take 2x4 and sure it up underneath. But my question is this am I on the wrong track? The TS-2000 will be coming with its own speaker and power supply. then there is a matter of where to sit my Laptop and external monitor for it. I was thinking of making a shelf but make bays where the radios sit in? I can provide a picture of what station looks like right now.

Ben K0BLR
MN Section Net Mgr. - Noon
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:52:12 PM »

Build your own table with thick stacked sheets of plywood, and 4x4 legs!  It's a cheap and fun to do project, and it'll hold all of your stuff up securely, plus you can customize it to fit your available space and needs!
K0BLR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »

Thank you for the reply. what type of plywood should I use, and would it be a good idea to stain and varnish it or no? Right now I only will have to radios however I would like to epand down the road when I have more money saved up. Can we talk off the forum? just look my callsign up on qrz. my callsgin is K0BLR.

Ben K0BLR
MN Section Net Mgr. - Noon
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »

If you do a search on tables or operating positions you'll find several threads on the subject. In fact, there's one about four threads down from this one.

Computer desks are very popular for radio operating tables. Mine is L-shaped with the radios in the middle, the computer on the left leg and a hutch on the right leg. If you want a photo, drop me an email and I'll send you one. My address is in my profile. Or look me up on QRZ; the same photo is there. The photo does NOT show up if you kink through eHam to the QRZ database.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W4FFM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

If it's just the top that's warping, and not the legs, then consider putting an inexpensive flat, cheap interior door on top of the table.

I put a 30"-wide door on top of an old library table that I had been using (about the same size as yours) and the new depth is just right. Someone mentioned to me that clear space enough to go from elbow to fingertip is just about right, and I can achieve this with such a table. I have two Kenwood TS-570S rigs, two tuners, an Icom IC-R7000 receiver, two Icom SP-20 speakers, a Hammerlund 'HQ-OneSeventy-A' boatanchor and a laptop on it, without any problem. The door, by the way, only cost me $12 at Home Depot or Lowe's (I forget which).

A caveat: Although the doors are very light, stiff and strong, they will not hold a screw except at the edges (the rest consists of a very stiff/strong sandwich of two layers of thin plywood separated by a space occupied by thin strips at right angles to the faces). If the legs aren't strong enough you'll want to add your own, keeping in mind these limitations.

W4FFM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »

Just an addendum... the type of door I was referring to is a "hollow core door". And the thread discussing just this subject is here: http://www.eham.net/forums/StationBuilding/3364

I think that building your shack can be a lot of fun and a rewarding experience.

BTW, I used a lot of those shelves that mount on two or more strips on the wall... just make sure that they're the heavy-duty type (two lines of holes in each strip) and that you use large wood screws deep into studs... not "hollow wall anchors".

73 de Carl W4FFM
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 06:19:44 PM »

Ben,

Don't forget government agencies that are upgrading offices. I picked up a government issue desk 60" x 30" for $35. I'm 220 lbs and have stood on it many times. And it's deep enough that the equipment isn't in your face. For the gear I bought a 96" x 16" shelf at Home Depot and had them cut it to the lengths I wanted to fit my gear. The shelf legs are made form pieces of the same and PL Premium glue holds it all together. My LCD monitor sits up on a small triangle corner shelf about a foot above the desk. This way is doesn't take up any space on the table. If you would like some pictures, e-mail me and I'll send you some close up shots.

Max
VE3TMT
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »

Check the industrial surplus outfits in your area and the local trader classifieds for old metal office desks.  I picked up one with a nice chair for $35.  A thorough cleaning and some spray paint, it looks fine now and is strong enough to support anything you can lift on it.  
Since it's metal, be sure to ground it.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:16:09 AM »

I got a set of K.D. desk, credenza and shelving unit, office chair, then added a "riser".  All in ebony black (because that's my personal preferece) from Office Depot, online, delivered to my qth.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »

Cruise an office park and find the place currently under renovation ( almost a given) They often replace the office doors and toss out the old solid doors, I got a beautiful 3 foot by 7 foot 2 inch solid cherry door for my set up, this along with a 2x4 frame has supported at least 600 lbs of equipment  and operator many many times.
   Acquisition of such may be illegal even if "a guy said I could have it" so check local regulations.
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:45 PM »

Google on "Taddbench" and checkout his design. Very stout and easy to build with minimal tools and skills. Once built it can be disassembled for moving.

73 de Walt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: