Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a new HF shack...  (Read 745 times)
PHOOBARNVAZ

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:46 AM »

Am looking at buying the following items this upcoming weekend with funds I've been saving recently:

281,MFJ CLEARTONE COMM SPEAKER
FT450,YAESU COMPACT HF/6M XCVR/IFDSP
G5RVJR,RADIOWAVZ 51'G5RV ANT 14'TALL
RB/NO/CUSB,WEST MTN RIGBLASTERNOMIC;8P/RJ
Z100,LDG 160-6M 125W/50W 6M AUTOTNR Free RBA-1:1 or RBA-4:1 Balun

Previously ran an FT-1802 with a SEC 1223...so will be running this to power the rig. Do have an MFJ-1778 antenna...but very limited space to install it (no CCR)...so thought about getting the G5RVJR for the limited space constraints. Live in a mobile on a narrow lot. Have also looked at PAR Electronics - END-FEDZ...but this may come later with more experience. Also...want to get a RigBlaster Plus/Pro with a vertical later on as well.

With no Elmer I know available locally...can anyone/everyone provide any information I would need to get up & running.

D Lowery
KE7LKI
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2202
Take a look at WA2NAN's G5RV - he makes 'em stout. You may want to google wa2nan to find his sales site - may be on eBay stores.

good luck,
Jim
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »

Save the money you'd spend on the speaker and put it into a good set of headphones.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:04:58 AM »

"Save the money you'd spend on the speaker and put it into a good set of headphones."

...and drop the 450 and get an Icom 718 with DSP. You'll be glad you did.

In fact anything is better than the FT-450. Look how many are showing up on the used markets already. That should tell you something.

Max
VE3TMT

PHOOBARNVAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 04:07:56 AM »

281,MFJ CLEARTONE COMM SPEAKER
FT450,YAESU COMPACT HF/6M XCVR/IFDSP
G5RVJR,RADIOWAVZ 51'G5RV ANT 14'TALL
RB/NO/CUSB,WEST MTN RIGBLASTERNOMIC;8P/RJ
Z100,LDG 160-6M 125W/50W 6M AUTOTNR

After much thought...I went ahead & made my purchase of these items from AES in Lost Wages on Friday. Having been shipped out on Friday afternoon...should have it all by Monday afternoon from UPS.

Want to thank everyone who commented. Made me do much more research here on eHam & other sites than I was expecting...especially since I almost went with the Icom 718...rather than the Yaesu.

As for the speaker...was in commercial radio for years...so all ready have some nice phones. Plus...at only $12.95...I spend more than that for a decent rib or steak dinner at a good restaurant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: