Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-450 or S/H FT847  (Read 858 times)
VK2MMM

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:36:23 AM »

I am about to set up myself for HF. I had the pleasure of playing with another hams Kenwood TS480 and its a lovely rig. Very easy to drive.

His FT897D on the other hand, was a royal PITA. I hate menu radios!

The kenwood had menus, but they were so easy to navigate, that it was a breeze. I was able to pull stations out of the static with a few twists and presses, as opposed to having difficulty finding where the offset menu was on the 897 to program in my local repeater to report I was finally playing HF.

I just built myself a G5RV jr (its the biggest I can fit in my limited QTH), and now need a rig and ATU to drive it with.

Going to get an AT-100pro from LDG (125 watt) along with a TVI filter. The filter will be discarded on ebay if I have no need for it, but better to be safe than sorry.

The FT-450 looks like a nice set - all the nice features like an easy to read screen, a good set of electronic filters, and a fairly easy to use menu system. The 847, offered very close to the price of the 450, with the SSB filter fitted, is also an attractive proposition, considering I mainly operate phone, probably will never operate CW, but would like to try sats. It however, doesnt have the upmarket filtering of the FT-450.

Which one would you choose if they were within $150 of one another?
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »

For that little difference?  Buy the FT-847 instead.  It's a really good starter rig - I've had mine for 3 years now and I still like it as my daily radio.  One day it will be retired to something like dedicated 6 meters but I need to save some serious cash first.

I like to hop bands and it's great to be able to go from UHF to 160 meters on the same rig.

It also has full SSB capabilities on VHF/UHF so if you want to get your feet wet in weak-signal work [yea, it's not great for it but it can be used], you have that option as well.

No doubt I'll get flamed to death for that opinion, since I dont have an IC-7800 to compare it to.

For one thing, you will very much prefer the bigger tuning knob on the 847.

Funny thing about the FT-897 - it's menu system is pretty simple once you run thru it a few times, in fact it is not much different from the 847 or their 8800/8900 series radios.  Yea, it's 95 items deep but it is not hard to figure out.  Oh well.

I use the LDG antenna tuner as well, and I think unless you install it wrong, will like it.
VK2MMM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »

Thanks for your response, but I thought about this and am going to save a grand more and get a 756 pro II.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »

The 746Pro will outshine both in many ways. It is a good solid radio and boy you can really dial in that DSP nice and tight.

Its a thought. Also cheaper than the Pro II or III.

Dan S
KO1D
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »

I know that you weren't looking for feedback regarding the antenna tuner specifically, but I would not recommend the LDG for a G5RV.  It will tune, but the relay switched tuners are at their lowest efficiency and highest failure rate when pushed near their matching limit--which is every band with this antenna.  Also, if you want to maximize the power you get up to the radiating elements, I would recommend a balanced tuner.  I don't know how available MFJ is near you but the MFJ-974B is similar in price to the LDG.

All the best.

Anthony
VK2MMM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »

Hi Anthony

Thanks for bringing that up - Can get an MFJ 993 for a reasonable price.

It does 300 watts (far more than the 756pro II will ever dish out, and states it can tune almost anything.

I will check reviews on the tuner later.

Cheers 73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: