Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-930 Questions....  (Read 559 times)
K2MMM

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:25 AM »

I am considering getting a TS930. I have heard about the power supply issue with the overheating probblem. Did Kenwood fix that in later serial numbers or is that a mod to be done by hams? Is there a serial number range that is a more reliable product? Any tips/info woulld be great ! 73 Mike K2MMM
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

The later serial numbers are generally a little more reliable in terms of the thru-hole plating on a number of the boards.  I'm not sure of the specific differences between the power supplies.  There is a very good modification by W6NL that improves the power supply stability which I have done to one of my 930's and I believe it was done to my other one before I bought it.  You can search for it or send me e-mail and I can get you a copy.

I have one of the early TS-930's, a 2-million serial number, and one of mid/later ones, a 5-million serial number.  They have both been very good performers for their age.  I've had to replace the drivers and power supply pass transistors in one of them (actually the later one).  But, that was mostly a matter of operator carelessness.

After the W6NL modification and the Piexx digital board, another mod that really makes these rigs sing is the Inrad roofing filter.  I've had mine for about 16 months now and it's worth every penny.  I also have Inrad filters in both IFs for both SSB (2.1 kHz) and CW (400 Hz) on that radio.  I have the Kenwood 500-Hz CW filters in both IF's of the other radio and no roofing filter.  It's a good radio; but, the other one is a great radio.

These are just my two cents!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: