Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelves  (Read 4916 times)
NK5G

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »

Hey All,

I am looking for ideas for good strong shelves or risers for the desk in the ham shack.

What are some things that you all have done...build, buy, etc.

David
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »

I have done both -- built and made shelves and risers. Both have their pros and cons. Lowe's and Home Depot sell shelving that might meet your needs. Most of it is white which might be fine with you but I wanted to paint mine after a few years so it matched the dark wood desk. Well, the shelves were covered with a slick surface that was difficult -- no, make that impossible -- to paint over.

I had to buy a special primer and then paint the shelves. The results were so-so.

Then I began building my owner shelving and risers out of wood I bought at the above stores. It takes some effort to paint or stain them but the results were better appearance-wise.

I made a couple of 2-inch risers to get the HF rigs up off the desk for easier tuning and to store stuff under them. Unfortunately, George, our male cat, loves to hide stuff under the risers. It's great sport to come back later to fish them out which means he parks his little kitty butt directly in front of my Pro 3 while I am trying to operate.

N4KZ
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »

If you are looking for risers, Office Depot,OfficeMax, and Staples sell metal risers for monitors, printers, etc that look nice.  

I built a simple hutch with oak finished laminated shelving and brass corner brace hardware.    

Doug NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »

Something to consider is the welded wire "Closet" shelves sold in home supply stores. Available in a number of widths and lengths for a reasonable price.
Advantages are really good cooling air ventilation, And fireproof.   I have been using them for a number of years now with no problems seen. In fact, Commercial tower sites usually will not allow wood or any type of material that could burn, And the "closet" shelves have worked out fine.
A bonus feature with them is that it is very simple to just take a wire cutters and "snip" one wire out to make a hole to pass coax or power wires through if the wires are too close together otherwise.
(These wire shelves come in different wire gauges and wire spacing, Depending on how heavy your equipment is.)
KD6CPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:27:29 AM »

At Target or Lowes or Home Depot for about $10-15  youi can buy particle board shelves with a laminate covering.  They are about 12" deep, 12" high, and have 2 shelf surfaces.  (Some assembly required.)  You can buy them in lengths of 2ft to 4ft.  They give you 2 surfaces to set stuff on, and you can stack them one on top of each other to add more.  

Works really well sitting on top of the desk to increase space for rigs, tuners, meters, etc.
KB1THH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »

Hi Dave,
    If you have a saw and some experience in wood work, I'd say use some 3/4 hard wood ply and band the sawn edges with matching solid hardwood strips.
  I made my desk and a small riser/shelf this way and it's quite sturdy and looks good after stain and finishing. Sanded 3/4 ply can be used if you plan on painting it.
  My profile has a Pic of the desk and riser.

Joe Leggett
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »

3/4 inch thick particle board shelving needs a lot of bracing to prevent sag unless the span is very short. If you are painting the shelves, the cheapest material to use is bullnosed MDF shelving. It needs front and back bracing and short spans but it is very easy to work and paint and cheap. You do need to drill accurate holes for the screws or the MDF will split. My shack desk has a riser made of MDF 12 inches deep with 1 by 2 pine braces underneath the shelf front and back. My desk is 42 inches wide and the riser has four uprights. Three would have been sufficient. Unit is glued and screwed together and painted eggshell finish bronze oil base enamel. Flatter paints hide more surface flaws. The paint and screws cost more than the wood for the riser shelf.

73 de Walt N2IK
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »

I would build some heavy duty shelving. My Kenwood TL-922a is about 70+ lbs. You could add 25 more lbs just for meters, computer and other stuff. So make them heavy duty. You do not want to wake up a 2:00  AM  hear this big crash and find your radio and amplifier in the floor all beat and banged up.
NJ3F

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »

To handle heavy loads I replaced the standard shelves with home made "torsion box" shelves.
Its a lot of work, but it will hold the heavies load with zero sag. do a web search for construction
details.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:22 AM »

I've never been satisfied with any of the ready-made stuff due to sizes not being exactly what I wanted and support not being good enough for heavy equipment loads. I've always used 3/4-inch finish grade plywood and covered the exposed ends. In one case I covered the whole front with 1/4-inch plywood and made custom cut-outs to fit all the equipment. Each piece sat on the shelf and slid up through the opening to expose the front panel.

I found that 2x4's raised the bottom shelf just about right to put log books, keys, etc under the shelf. For a 5-foot shelf width you need to provide a center support in addition to the two ends.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »

Check out my station photo on QRZ.com  I bought 16" x 96" shelving at Home Depot and had them cut 60" pieces for the shelves and smaller widths for the risers. This way you can space it out to fit your equipment, glue it all together and it looks custom made.

Max
VE3TMT
KC9AYV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

Search the web and local retailers for shoe racks. I just found one online at Target that is stackable, and cherry colored. Maxium weight capacaity is 80 lbs. Also seen some made out of wire mesh that is tilted down (better to see your shoes), but if it was turned around it would tilt the face of your radio upward for better viewing.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

There are also shelf units you can buy and simply screw to the desk.

I think it depends on how many shelves you need and how deep you want them.

Container store sells Metro shelving - you can buy the posts 74' tall, then buy shelves longer than your desk - set the posts on both sides of the desk and then put 2 or 3 or even 4 shelves up above.

Thin plywood makes a solid shelf if you need it and you are unlikely to overload them - their standard shelving is good for 300 lbs or more per shelf up to 60" long.

Wood risers of 3/4" plywood with triangular gussets at the shelf junction work pretty well and can be painted any convenient color, but two shelves would be the most I'd trust, and then I'd still use brackets to secure 'em together.

One often sees a lowest shelf only a couple inches above the table with room underneath it for a key, keyboard, log books, etc.  I've not tried it but always wonder if the extra reach to the tuning knob is not a problem.

I often see really nice old oak desks - saw one this weekend at a garage sale, but the only downside to those is that the knee spaces are often really small - I like room to squirm around.  But they would be easy to equip with either a shelf unit or a riser.  One I saw had a spring loaded shelf for your Mill, or maybe your 100 amp/hour backup battery.

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

Oops, posted to wrong thread!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

check out www.globalindustrial.com and search on LAN Workstation. I've got their 72" wide LAN workstation, without wheels, added various dividers and hanging storage bins, and it's been great! have the family main computer, my ham rig and ham laptop, books, parts tools - one of the most efficient uses of space I've ever had. Only part to avoid - their pullout keyboard tray. Just set the main work surface at keyboard height. All shelves and desk surface are adjustable in 1? increments.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: