Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I.C.E. and Polyphaser  (Read 2455 times)
N0RZT

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »

Good evening,

Something I'd never really noticed before - there's a significant price difference between I.C.E. lightning arrestors and Polyphaser lightning arrestors - the Polyphasers are almost twice the price of the I.C.E. products.  People seem to talk about them synonymously - but it seems to me that if they were functionally identical, then market forces would drive them to similar pricing.

After a bit of Googling, I haven't been able to find anything to distinguish them.  The only thing I've been able to find is that I.C.E. claims their products are better than Polyphaser's.  (Gee, that's no surprise that they claim it - but if it's true, then why is the better product the less expensive one?)

So... what am I missing?  When I decide that it's not cost-effective to be cheap and pay $62 instead of $34, what am I buying with the extra $28?

Chris N0RZT/8
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »

I'm an ICE person and they are just as good if not better.  Phil
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »

I don't know much about these units inside, but like you, I noticed the ICE units were quite a bit cheaper - so when I needed 10 units for my relocated fully grounded and bonded station, I ordered from ICE - great service, and they are fine so far - been in for some months.

IMHO, I think that ICE is more geared towards the commercial user and Poly is better known in the Ham world.  I have no idea why they are more expensive.  ICE also does not do any advertising that I have seen in the Ham world.

KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:49 PM »

Go to ICE's web site and look at the technical papers they have posted there. They explain in great detail the design differences betwee nthe 2 products. It was quite informative. I was planning on going with Polyphaser, but after reading the stuff on the site, think I will go with ICE. I stumbled across their site looking for a lowpass filter with a 54 Mhz cutoff frequency for my HF antenna.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »

For overall ham use, The I.C.E. arrestors are the much better deal.  
For H.F. high power use, The Polyphasers have a nasty habit of letting the smoke out.............

For VHF/UHF, Polyphaser has a much larger customer base with public safety type commercial installations, Which, Along with Polyphaser's extensive advertising seems to keep the price much higher..........(Those big ads DO cost money!)

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »

hi,

I like the ICE products too,
they do have small ads in qst.

73 james
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »

ICE all the way.  I have 7 feedlines running into the shack. All are protected with the approprate ICE unit. Go to the website, read the info there and make up your own mind. emails to the guys at ICE are always answered. They dont mind a phone call to ask a question. And thier tech dept is ALWAYS willing to help you work out a problem or give you tips to help with the correct installation. PolyPhaser, you are lucky if you get an answer to an email let alone anything else. And at ICE they LOVE pictures of your install. Forget Polyphaser..go with the ICE.

Dan/N0FPE
K1VI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »

Needed a lightning arrestor today, never shopped before, saw all the reviews on eham, but hadn't noticed this forum thread at that point.  

Was so dizzy after all the back-and-forth, that I ordered an AlphaDelta ATT3G50U-HP, to run up to a KW on a Cushcraft R6000.

Any opinions on the Alpha Delta ?

Mike, K1VI
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:26:11 PM »

For the price of that Alpha Delta, You could have bought TWO REAL I.C.E. arrestors!!!!!!

All that being said, The single point ground, Grounding, And bonding and doing it all properly is MUCH more important than the actual device itself anyhow.

For some good information see:
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
DXSHORTWAVE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »

The problem with ICE is that the company is for sale. May not be around long. Polyphasers are known for blowing internal capacitors at less than their power ratings. Alpha Delta units are not twice ICE prices. they are $49.00 ea. We switched to all Alpha Delta units in our commercial HF monitoring applications when both ICE and Polyphaser units started to fail. No problem with any of the AD units.
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:09:27 PM »

I'd like to know where you got the information that ICE was for sale.

Guess I better stock up.

Rick N6NKN
WA3A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 05:37:17 AM »

I ordered a balanced line protector from ICE over a month ago and havent received it or had any response to my emails. The online credit card transaction was never posted to my account.  
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 06:40:37 AM »

I have placed many orders with I. C. E.  They typically take 6 to 8 weeks to deliver. But, the wait is worth it. They never bill your card until after they have shipped your item.

Rick N6NKN
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »

I had a near-by liughtning hit a few years ago.  The lightnining hit a CATV distribution box in the alley about 100 feet from my house, and energy was coupled through the CATV ground into my house.  Most everything electronic was destroyed in my home (TVs, Home Theater, Alarm System, Heating/AC, etc), but not my ham gerar as that had AC surge suppressors on it, and ICE suppressors on the coax feeds.  My outside Butternut vertical absorben so much energy that all the doorknob capacitors on the antenna exploded.  But, the ICE arrestors on the coax protected my shack and all ham grear.

Phil - AD5X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: