Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying new rig, questions?  (Read 1362 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:53 AM »

I was looking to upgrade my rig, I was looking at the ft-2000. But I was also looking at the ft-950 +DMU. I have about 2800 to spend.

My question is would you purchase a ft-2000 by itself or the ft-950 plus the ft-2000 dmu unit.

The only critical feature that I see you would loose would be the dual receivers, however I currently have a ic-7000 and I have never had a radio with dual receivers and I have not missed them yet, duel vfo has always worked just fine for split operations.

It also looks like the ft-950 has a better receiver than the ft-2000, however I think the ft-2000 looks better, has more buttons that light up as indicators, and I think the layout of the screen with the analogue meters is better looking.

I am really at a loss, and I don't know what to do?

Also please don't mention the antenna as that was last years project and my antenna's are fine.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:16:49 AM »

K-3 is better than those.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »

I've never used either of the rigs in question.  But, I do have a thought or two:

If you work a lot of DX or Contests, you need to try dual receivers before deciding you don't need them.  You really can't appreciate it until you are listening for the last caller on backscatter at the same time you're listening to the DX...or sniping multipliers when your run frequency gets slow.

Is there any particular reason you're partial to the Yaesu's?
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »

Phil's comment which came while I was writing mine is precisely the reason I asked the last question:  $2800 is a lot to spend on radios that seem to be pretty "average" from what I can tell.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »

My two-bit recommendation:

1.  Icom 756 Pro III  (the available price at Gigaparts is under your budget figure).

2.  Elecraft K3.

I have an Icom 756 Pro III and it is a very nice radio.  Also, the real-time spectrum display is very nice and I often wonder if I could ever use a radio without one.  But, I do plan to buy a K3 to be added to my shack so maybe I will find out if I can live without a spectrum display.  I currently view the purchase of the K3 as a backup or secondary radio -- but, who knows, it may become my main rig.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:38:13 AM »

the real-time spectrum display is very nice

How long do you think it will take until Elecraft offers a scope add-on to the K3?

I'd buy the best radio for your money rather than an average radio that has a fancy but totally optional scope (I've been DXing without a scope forever and I don't think I've been missing one).  JMHO or course.
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »

All my current radio's are icon. I just like the look of the ft-2000, I'm not a big fan of the pro 3 looks, and the bandscope I have on my ic-7000 is alright but useless in high noise.  Are the yaesu radio's that much worse than the pro 3? It has to be better than my current ic-7000?   I like the k3, I have a k2, however I don' t feel like waitng for one.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »

Two points:

Dual Receive - Once you listen to a spread out pile up AND the DX station and figure out where the DX is listening because you can hear both sides of an exchange you will never attempt to bust one again without it. Even my psuedo dual receive on my IC-756 is wonderful.

Band Scope - I have made more than a few contacts had I not had a band scope I never would have known were there.  I leave my radio tuned to 50.125 on 6M. One morning getting ready for church I sat at the radio bench to put my shoes on. I turned on the radio and I saw a "blip" slightly above center frequency. I tuned up and there were 2 South American stations chatting. I waited for a break and dropped my call.  45 minutes later I had 20 some odd DX contacts in the log. Without a scope I never would have known they were there. (I missed Bible Study but made it service on time)

Clint - W5CPT
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »

There are so many good choices now days it is hard to go wrong.  I just caution you not to buy features you do not need or will rarely use. I have a 11 station setup.  At number one is my TenTec ORION ll.  It has stayed there flanked by the best from YAESU and ICOM.  I do not have a K3 so may be it is better. I can not tell you.

Bottom line for my choice at $2800.00 is the OMNI 7.  TenTec build great ham gear.

I have both the FT 2000 and the FT 950...The dual receive is nice but not necessary.  On receive it is hard to tell any difference between the two.  I suggest the TenTec because on top of everything their customer service is truly outstanding.

But for $2800.00 you can get the FT950 and an Ameritron AL-80B.  Now you are ready for cycle 24

Good Luck

George, W6GF
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »

Hello from Reno Nv. If you do not get a radio with dual receive, you will not be able to work split and miss alot of good DX..73 Bob
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »

I have Ft-950 and it is an excellent radio for the money. I did some research before I bought it and the reviews have been born out. Excellent receiver. Some people object to having some controls in menu only ( like transmit power ) . For the price it is excellent. I could not afford the DMU unit.
'73
Ira, KE5STP
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »

The Icom 756PRO series ARE nice radios. And once you get used to that spectrum scope, You will not be without it!  Don't forget you could buy TWO good used plain IC 756PRO radios for your budget (Or one brand new 756PROIII)

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

Contrary to the advice given by the well-meaning ham in Reno, dual-receivers are not required for working split.  Any rig with A/B VFO's will work split pileups just fine.  I've been doing it for years.  There are some advantages (and perhaps some disadvantages, too) with dual receivers.

I'd recommend the Elecraft K3, as others have stated.  A second-receiver option will soon be available for the K3, so you can get one with a single receiver that has A/B VFO's and upgrade later on to dual-receive capability if you desire it.  

One of the many strong points of Elecraft radios is that you can buy exactly the radio you want with so many features available as options.

Chuck  NI0C  
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »

Dual receivers permit you to listen to two frequencies simultaniously. It is NOT a requirement to work "split". Most any modern receiver will have "A" and "B" VFOs that permit you to receive on one frequency and transmit on another.
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 05:25:49 AM »

Larry Phipps is developing a kit to offer a bandscope for the K3, using a sound card interface and computer. Most people who are serious about HF usually have a computer in the shack for logging, etc anyway, so this is an ideal way to offer a scope without serious cost. As others have suggested, the K3 is probably the best bang for your buck, is modular, so you can get in entry level and add on options as you desire, rather than buying a complete package with features you don't want/need. Plus, it is an American company, and all assembly is here in the US.

Mike
AI4NS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: