Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I make it work?  (Read 626 times)
KE7SYE

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:37:09 PM »

So here is the deal, I am a realitivly new ham (I got my license in April) and I was given some starter gear to get me going. I have an FT-5200 for my radio, a power supply, and two antennas.

One of the antennas is a mag-mount that I have on my car and the other is an SG-7500 that I have gathered from research is a mobile antenna. What I need two mobile antennas for I don't know since I only have the one car.

So I guess my question is, can I use this antenna as a base station antenna or should I just bite the bullet and make myself a J-Pole or something similer?
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:36:15 PM »

The SG7500 will work as long as it has a ground plane.  Remember height is your friend on VHF/UHF.  Your radio is a dual band so you might want to use the SG7500 for ease of use.  I highly encourage you to make an antenna though.  Building some of your own equipment is the cornerstone of ham radio.  My favorite antenna is the moxon and I have built many other VHF antennas.  

Jim    
KE7SYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »

Okay, silly question I know, but how would I go about making a grounding plain?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:33:11 PM »

All your answers to your very basic questions are found in the ARRL Antenna Book.

Also all newbies should also have and read thoroughly a copy of the ARRL Handbook and ARRL Operating Manual.
KE7SYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »

As the ARRL hasn't yet sent it to me I am left twiddling my thumbs and trying to come up with answers by myself until it gets here sometime next week.

Thanks anyway
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »

but how would I go about making a grounding plain?

Actually spelled grounding plane.  This will consist of either sheets of metal or most often ground radials made of wire or metal rods.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

It's actually ground plane. Phil. Smiley

A 3-foot diameter piece of sheet aluminum will work, but there is a big problem with it becoming a wind catcher.

A better idea is to use an antenna actually designed for home station use. I would suggest a CushCraft ARX-2B for 2m only or an CushCraft AR270B, if you want a 2m/440 antenna. Both are far superior to your home-made J-pole and are good performers.

Whatever you decide on, you want it as high as you can get it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE7SYE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »

Thank you both Phil and Lon for your advise. I will take it to heart and see what I can do

Geoff
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »

Good luck with the project.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KC8HQX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

I'm still in the process of building my shack. Currently, my 2M antenna is a cheap 5/8 wave mag mount antenna stuck to a steel pizza tray set on top of a shelf with the whip smacking the ceiling. From this 2nd floor room, I can hit all the local repeaters with ease @ 5 watts.

Because they're so cheap and it's sort of a tradition to build your first antenna, I'd build a simple Slim-Jim (twin lead J-Pole), zip tie it to a fiberglass rod and mount that to a chimney. Shouldn't cost more than 15-20 bucks if you have *nothing* lying around.

Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: