Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to ham it up??  (Read 876 times)
KC2PTA

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »

Ok, I am 16, and both my parents complain to me about my "radio junk", and the "irratating" noises. They tell me they cant stand it in the house. I dont have much of options, the buildings on my 20 acre farm is as follows:

leaky roofed barn w/out insulation.

shed with potatoe gun, and accesories, soon to be used by mother inlaw(not mine, my aunts).

pool house: too wet

well house: too wet, uninsulated, no doore, or protection:lock.

2 cement grain cilos, which have no roof, or doors.

garage which is my uncles shop...(off limits).

i have tried ear phones, but they dont like the equipment in my room, which is directly under their room. nor the antenna on a 40' mast behind the house, my aunt tells me how "tacky it is to have stuf up on poles around our house, we look like hicks..."

so, finnaly, my questions to all of you wonderfull elmers, Where or what do i do with all my radios? any ideas??

thank you all for any and all of your ideas.

73's,

josh hughes

kc2pta
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »

What do you have in the room besides the HT and the mobile? You sure the room is not "junked up" with lots of parts, pieces, and other stuff? Moms often have a hard time when the place looks junky. Maybe you can put a covered area in the barn to keep the water off and move any non-functional stuff out there. Then you can assemble a nice, clean, neat operating position in the room. Make Mom happy and most of the other problems go away :-)

When I was a kid I turned an old chicken coop into my "storage shed" to minimize the amount of stuff in the room.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:22:36 AM »

Go to a junk yard and see if you can get an old non running van or trailer for cheap.  Get it towed to your place, and set it up close enough to your home to run power to it, and far enough so your parents won't hear you.  Instant ham shack!
K0XU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 05:43:07 AM »

You might try telling them that if you have to give up the radio equipment that you think you will take up heavy metal or grunge. Seriously, it sounds to me like they have some issues like many others that have no understanding of the hobby. And it sounds like the extended family if getting more use of the facilities than you are.
Explain that the antennas are necessary (no antenna = no radio). Try to keep them as neat as possible. And really, what do they want from someone your age, would they rather you were doing drugs and running with a gang? They don't know how good they have it!
Is there an older ham in the area that could take some time to explain some of this to them? Would they listen? I wish I was not so far away, I would come over myself and talk to them myself!!

I wish you luck.
Jim
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 08:20:52 AM »

You sound like a nice, young guy. Seems like "aunty" and not the parents are the problem. They seem very much influenced by her opinions. For now, keep your gear and extra "stuff" to a minimum. Make sure the room is clean and neat...that includes non-ham things laying about. Point out that amateur radio can be an entry into a professional engineering career.

You probably have plenty of chores. Be sure and do them.

Above all, remember that you won't be living at home for ever. Some day you will be on your own, in your own place and able to make your own decisions.

Hang in there.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:22:12 AM »

Resurect the old commercial "this is your mind on drugs" and then show them a copy of QST.  Tell them this is YOUR mind on Amateur Radio.  Relate it to COLLEGE!

I think they'll get the point.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »

Josh, here's an idea. Next time you are all sitting down to dinner, bring up the idea of trading all your Ham Radio gear for a motorcycle. You will amazed how quickly they will change their mind and agree with Ham Radio.

Seriously though, see if there is a local Ham Club that has a club station. Often these set-ups have better equipment and antennas than you do and the fellowship in the comunal club room is where much learning is done, some even about Ham Radio.

Clint - W5CPT

W4MKH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:28:09 AM »

I'm not sure about your budget but I solved my problem with my wife by getting this -http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536896798&prodBlockOID=1611591542

An armoire is the way to go. You can open it up when you need it then hide all of your gear when it isn't in use.
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 08:48:31 PM »

My parents encourage my hobby and gave me a room for radios and let me loose in the backyard with antennas ( 1 acre ) .

I would say use the pool house and make sure your radios don't get too wet or ask the folks to fix it up for you as a shack .
WA4DQS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »

Stealth hamshacks are easy to make. I did something similar to W4MKH, to keep the vintage beauty of my interior intact:

http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/WA4DQS_hamshack.htm

For antenna I keep a simple, portable Sigma GT5 by Force 12, and a low profile 40m dipole. Some folks put the GT5 in a cemented bucket as a stand then haul it into the yard for use, then back into the garage when done. No eyesore remaining in plain view all day and night. Not the stuff of big guns, but plenty of fun. I operate PSK31 when I dont want to wake up my gal, and headphones at other times, and portable from scenic overlooks when I really want to get out.
W2AHP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Now that is sad Sad Your parents sound rather selfish and short sited. A darn shame. I hope you solved this problem.

www.westfloridacomponents.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: