Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating a club station.  (Read 720 times)
KI4OGD

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »

I am currently restarting the former Raider Radio Club at Middle Tennessee State University, old callsign W4EFQ.

At the moment, the station consists of a TS-140S which has been damaged, an Alinco 2 meter rig, and an ADI 220 rig (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they are early 90s models)  Also part of the station is a MFJ 1270B TNC and an Astron RS-20 power supply.  Antennas include a unidentifiable vertical with no radials, a Cushcraft A3 beam with the feedine torn off (wind loading on the HyGain rotator, now toast, probably spun it like a top around the feedline, since there is a large amount of RG-8 twisted around the mast as well).  Along with twoJ-pole antennas for 2 meters and 220.  

My bet as to the damage on the TS140 is someone tried to transmit into the damaged beam, and the lack of a radiator blew the finals.  I have no measuring equipment here, but some enthusiastic faculty and student members.  Also lacking is a budget, since the school does not yet recognize us as an active club again.  

Any reccomendations?
Thanks
Steven KI4OGD
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »

eBay?

All kidding aside, it sounds like the best thing to do is start over from scratch. Maybe you could get your alumni magazine to write a story announcing the re-birth of the station and ask for donations of money or equipment.

In my years on this planet I have learned many things. One of them is that people don't do things for you because you are a nice person, they do things for you because you ask!

Scott N0IU
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:18:33 PM »

Oops! Guess I should have included this:

http://mtalumni.com/

Scott N0IU
KI4OGD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 06:48:42 PM »

Alright, say I were to start over, what should I consider for equipment?

I was thinking a TS-2000 would be a good start, since it covers almost everything, and has a built-in TNC and tuner.  I can fix the A3, but that vertical I'll have to identify before using or deciding to keep.  The RS-20 is in good shape, as are both the 2 meter and 440 rigs.  

Other than that, should funds arise, should I consider a dedicated HF rig if the funds allow? Also, dedicated VHF/UHF gear as well?  Also, repair or replace the Hygain rotator?
Consider things you would put forth to a SGA committee for funding purposes...

Thanks for the speedy reply
Steven KI4OGD
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »

Recommending specific brands and models is tough since everyone has their favorite and in this day and age, it is probably more a matter of preference than anything else.

Personally, I have been using Icom HF gear for the past 15 years or so and have been very satisfied. Right now, I have a 756Pro, but they are up to the Pro3 model now. That rig is HF + 6 meters. You might want to consider the 746Pro. Even though it is less robust overall than the 756 series, it does have 6 meters and 2 meters.

Really, the rest depends on your budget. I don't know what to tell you about the rotor. You may want to scan through the FOR SALE ads here, the ARRL website, on QRZ and other Internet sites to see if anyone has them for sale since it might be cheaper to replace it (but keep it for spare parts) than have it repaired.

Good luck!

Scott N0IU
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »

TS2000- as you said, it does it all.
W4WUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »

Steve,

Has anymore been done to get the station back on the air?

Dalton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: