Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding with soft roll copper  (Read 2497 times)
N1QOQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

Good luck on the test!!
As several of us have stated, you will want to bond all of you grounds together. Most of the time, if you have a proper antenna system, RF grounding should not be to big a problem. There are antenna systems that require an rf ground though. A saftey/ lightining ground is the most important in my opinion. A little rf in the shack is an annoyance, but lightining is deadly.-73 Paul
VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »

Thanks....I'm a studying. I am going to go ahead and bond my soft roll copper bus bar to the main cold water (house ground) and I guess through the wall as well to some rods.....(I had already drilled my wall and drove 2 rods) That sounds like that is the popular opinion and the correct one. My station is going to be located directly under the cold water pipe about 2 feet from where it goes to ground.
        Thanks for all the help and if anybody has anything to add...please feel free. I will probably be posting some questions on antennas soon. I need to read more so I know what to ask....LOL

Take Care,
voodoo42
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »

For safety reasons you need to connect all of your grounds together. However, as I explained earlier none of your proposed grounds will be an effective RF ground, which is what you are asking for when you say you want to keep "stray RF off of the equipment". Running copper foil from your radio to a ground rod is pretty much a wasted effort as far as RF is concerned and its not the proper way to provide a lightning protection ground (check the Polyphaser web site).
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »

From the original post: "can anyone tell me if this is not ok for rf grounding? I am basing this not on safety,but on the idea that stray rf can build up on chasis,line..."

Sounds to me like he is asking about RF grounding, thus my response concerning RF grounding.

VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »

Thanks. I will bond all grounds together. What is copper foil?
VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

here is one of the websites that mentioned about the rf grounding to the radio chasis with seperate ground rods. Please give it a read and see if any of that is right or not. That is what I was basing my question on. I have been told by some folks this was right and by some it is not. I wasn't sure

http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/earth_ground.html

Thanks,
voodoo42
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »

The banner near the top of that website proclaiming "11 Meters" pretty much says it all.

That whole article is riddled with some facts and lots of half baked ideas.

Not that there are not some really good techs who operate on 11 meters, There ARE.   This article is not one to follow exactly however.

A much better plan is to follow the ideas in the URL I posted, Check the series of three articles by Mr Block in QST magazine a few years ago, And the info online from Polyphaser.

ALL people who really know much of anything about grounding will tell you the same thing:  BOND ALL grounds together, With as low an inductance material as you can get.  That is usually flat copper strap, Like used for roof flashing.

Do NOT use plain lead/tin solder outdoors for grounding!   Use good mechanical clamps, Cadweld, Or True silver solder, Actually Brazing, with a high silver content braze rod.  MAPP gas will flow it. That rod is used in the air conditioner trade. Do NOT use plumbing type "silver solder"  

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: