Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTENNA CHOICE...  (Read 944 times)
KH6LDO

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »

Hi everybody!

My name is Bob/KH6LDO.  I just moved into my new home in Frederick, Maryland and it's the first house where I can put up any antenna I want.  I am one excited ham!

The biggest criteria for the antenna is that it not cost a mint.  A couple hundred bucks at most.  Also, I don't want to put up a huge tower and antenna rig.

I'm leaning towards a multiband vertical.  I had one in Japan when I lived there and I was very pleased with the performance.  However, I am open to suggestions.

What I plan on doing is bolting the antenna to a piece of wood which juts out from my roof.  The feedline from the antenna to the rig (if I put it in the place I'm looking at) will be about 25 feet.

I look forward to any suggestions for type of antenna, manufacturer, models etc.

Thanks es 73!

Bob Maguire
KH6LDO
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »

The Hustler verticals fit nicely in your price range and are good performers PROPERLY INSTALLED.

<<What I plan on doing is bolting the antenna to a piece of wood which juts out from my roof. The feedline from the antenna to the rig (if I put it in the place I'm looking at) will be about 25 feet. >>

What are you planning to do about radials? You will need at least two, resonant radials for each band you plan to operate on. You can spread one set on the roof, but you'll need a place to tie off the other set.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »

I second the BTV choice.  The 6-BTV is less than $200 to buy new.  After you have it assembled, look at this http://www.eham.net/articles/20850 for info about adding radials.  What's in the assembly manual may or may not working depending on how you end up actually installing it.

An added plus is you can add 30, 17 and 12 meters to it with a couple pieces of PVC pipe and 3 pieces of wire the appropriate length!
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »

I, too, have used the a Hustler trap vertical with good results. The two secrets to its success are: radials and putting the antenna in the clear. Since you plan to mount the antenna in the air -- whatever you buy and it sounds like you're already learning toward a vertical -- you must use resonant radials. Two to four per band works well. And keeping the antenna clear of surrounding objects is a tremendous help in maximizing its performance. Placing a vertical near a building or metal fence always compromises its performance although sometimes it's unavoidable.

I don't know the particulars of your backyard situation, but you might also want to consider using small gauge wire for wire antennas. Often, such antennas are practically invisible to the eye and unless you're running a kilowatt, small gauge wire can work quite well. And it's quite affordable. Just a another thought.

73 and good luck,

N4KZ
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

I also don't think you can beat the Hustler 4, 5 or 6BTV verticals for price and performance, but, as stated, they will require tuned radials if mounted as you have stated.  They also work quite well ground mounted, but will, again, need a field of radials laid around the antenna for best results.

If you are stuck on the concept of mounting an antenna from the post protruding from your roof, the Cushcraft verticals (R7, R8) do a decent job and require no additional radials than those included in the antenna design.  The Cushcraft verticals mentioned are a more expensive antenna line than the Hustler BTV series.

Good luck,

Terry, WØFM
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »

How about a doublet made to be 1/2 wave on lowest band, homemade ladder line and a used tuner.  You could even home brew the tuner.  You should be able to buy cheap wire at some hardware store.  You can make ladder line from plastic coat hangers (do a google search on homebrew ladder line) and some of the wire.  The most expensive part of it would be the tuner.  I think you could buy an inexpensive Mfj unit for that.

For a limited number of bands, you could make a fan dipole.  80, 40 and 15 could be covered with two dipole elements.  The 40m works on 15.  You could add one more and get 20m as well.  Feed it with cheap piece of RG6 CATV coax from the hardware store.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:35:47 AM »

I have a Hy-Gain 18-AVT vertical. Very similar to the Hustler.  Mine is ground mounted, but the advise given so far has been spot on.

Check out the following link and the tech notes that apply (insulated support and roof mounted)  If you have this on the roof of your new house, don't make it into an unsafe lightening rod.

http://www.polyphaser.com/technical_notes.aspx

Jim - KB1NXE
KL2EC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »

Though I can't verify this, yet, I was told to feed the btv with ladder line.It really opens it up.
K4NFG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »

Hi, there are a couple local guys with a lot of knowledge on the MADXRA repeater. 147.060 pl123. Two that come to mind first are Neil KC9BH, and Tim N3VNG. The club also meets for Breakfast every other Saturday. Visit their website at http://www.madxra.org/index.htm

You'll be able to find some local guys to help you out.

Best,
John
KH6LDO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:08 AM »

Hi John!  Just read your response below to my antenna question on eham.net. Thanks for the info on the local hams.  I've been wanting to get involved in the local ham community, but I work shifts and it's hard to get to the local meetings.  Hope to QSO with you soon.

Bob Maguire
KH6LDO

"Hi, there are a couple local guys with a lot of knowledge on the MADXRA repeater. 147.060 pl123. Two that come to mind first are Neil KC9BH, and Tim N3VNG. The club also meets for Breakfast every other Saturday. Visit their website at http://www.madxra.org/index.htm

You'll be able to find some local guys to help you out.

Best,
John"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: