Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An offer I can't refuse?  (Read 1029 times)
NV1P

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »

I'm relatively new to ham radio. My father is a licensed amateur extra, and I am now general. A while ago he got me a Drake 2B, which is working decent. It probably could use new tubes.

But to get to the point, I had posted on craigslist right after getting my license. Someone responded today, and is selling a t-4x, r-4, power supply and speakers. He said the reciever needs cleanup (a bit ambiguous), but the tubes in the t-4x are showing 80%. Would $250 be a reasonable price for the set?
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

Well, if the power supply (AC-4) is working, that and the speaker (MS-4) would be $100-150 right there.

If you don't mind puttering around, and your dad can help, then it could be a good deal.

I have two sets of Drake twins, one B and one C line.  Great stuff and love it.

73, Jim/k7unz

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »

The power supply might be the AC-3, not the AC-4.  And should have mentioned that the 2B is no slouch either, so if you get the TX up and running, you'll have a station.  

Tubes are getting a bit scarce, so you might wanna do come quick checking on availability before you commit.

Again, 73, Jim/k7unz
NV1P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my dad is 80 miles away while I'm at college, and has been away from ham radio for many years. I am studying electrical engineering, and other than the fact they don't teach tubes here I know my way around. At the very least I can safely say I know enough not to kill myself or my equipment. And my 2B is a beautiful piece of equipment. Even with a random wire antenna about 3m long I was able to pick up CW from Miami (I'm in CT) on 80m. The only odd thing is the 11Mhz crystal in the 40m slot.

And I randomly have a 6JB6 I found at my dads house, and more 6x4 than I know what to do with, as well as a few others. So thats at least a few tubes I would need to find.

Sam/KB1RSA
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »

Be careful if the TX uses sweep tubes.  They haven't been made for many years because TVs have not used tubes since the 70's.

You should be able to pick up something like TS520 for $200 to 250.  Only the driver and finals are tubes, 12by7 and 6146s, still obtainable.

But really, I would try for something like TS430 or older.   All solid state.  You should be able to get them for under $300.

I would also consider joining a local ham club.  You might find many of the older guys have stuff that works that they would loan you or even give you.  I have done that myself for younger hams.

Don't overpay for old stuff unless you are a rich collector.  There is tons of it out there as the ham population is old and many are dying off.  Many old rigs available if you really look.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »

The TX uses 6JB6's, which you still see periodically on QTH.com, etc.  Great radio!  Make sure you get a manual, if you replace the finals you'll need the directions on how to neutralize them.
AE6RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »

That'll be a nice station when you get it all together.  Don't get too worried about tube availability.  I always keep at least one full set of tubes on hand for my Collins gear and have yet to have a problem finding NOS ex-JAN tubes.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

hi Sam,

I agree if the set works you have a nice setup,

I also like the older kenwood hybrid radios,
the ts-520, 530, ts-820 and 830 series,
all solid state except for the 12by7a driver
and 6146b finals.  Many available for $ 200 or
so, big plus is the power supply is internal so
you are on the air fast after a good cleaning
of the switches and pots with Deoxit.

the sweep tubes are available for now $ 30 each and up

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-4.html

73 james
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »

on used equipment.
is to go on ebay and search them out.

that will give you a true value of what things , ham radios should and do cost.

kevin rea
k6rea
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: