Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy disconnects for rotators, etc.  (Read 795 times)
WG5J

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »

What connectors are people using on their rotator cables, etc in their shack that are easy to disconnect?  8 wire, etc.  

Thanks,
D.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

I was going to say the Rotor Doctor, But it looks like he changed the name to CATS.

http://www.rotor-doc.com/

If you are using the connector to "disconnect" the control head indoors for a lightning safety thing, Be sure to also get a spare plug so you can plug the rotor wires into a ground, Dont just leave them lay not hooked to anything.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »

My disconnects are out at the rotator.  I use combinations of 4 pin trailer hitch plugs.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

I don't need an easy way to disconnect rotators here at home: They're always connected.

However for portable use, this is a good idea.  I use "Jones" 8-pin plugs and receptacles, like P308CCT and S308CCT, for about 40 years or so, and still use them.  Quick, easy, cheap.  Not weatherproof, but since this is all low-voltage stuff I don't care much.  I've left them "outdoors" completely unprotected for 10 years at a time and they still work fine, although the pins do get oxidized.

WB2WIK/6
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »

I don't disconnect my rotators because each has their own lightning arrestor which is properly connected to a properly designed and installed grounding system.  No need to disconnect.  The up the tower disconnect is for the rare case I have to pull the rotator.
WG5J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »

I am putting lightning arrestors at the tower also.  I figure it would be easier to move equipment around and pull the plug if I am out of town or a real storm is coming.  

Texas Lightning Storms can be pretty crazy,
D.
WG5J

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »

That is what I was looking to find.  

Thanks for the part numbers,
D.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »

Another idea (I've used this to upgrade HyGain rotor controllers from the screw terminals) is to use multi-color PowerPoles.  I used a panel mount fixture for the back of the controllers.  They snap in with a lock mechanism.  Works great.  I also matched the colors to the cable.  The locking feature made it a more viable and desired solution to the other plugs.

HTH
Jim - KB1NXE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: