Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Point Ground Question  (Read 1341 times)
K0ACP

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »

OK folks, it is spring and the T-storms are in the air. It is time to get serious about one of our favorite topics, gounding. I am doing some infrastructure work for both home and ham shack and installing an external SPG at the point of coax entry into my home. I believe that I have sufficient plans on how to connect it to a couple of copper grounding rods and plan on using Polyphaser lightning arrestors to protect rig from lightning strikes to antennas.

My question is the following:

Is there significant benefit to using a copper sheet over an aluminum sheet to mount the arrestors on? Both sheets would be mounted within weatherproof enclosures that would be hung on the side of my house.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Art
K0ACP
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:14 AM »

The first thing that comes to mind is using copper will allow for a simpler connection of the copper ground strap (you are using strap and not wire - right?).

I silver solder (braze) all my SPG connections.  I use the brazing rods from Georgia Copper with 5% silver.  So  it's a continuous copper path.  

The price of copper has come back down.  Another advantage I can think of is a lightening strike will provide significant heating in any metal.  Copper has a much higher melting point over aluminum.  Less spalling means less damage.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim - KB1NXE
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »

There is also a chemical effect to consider. Metal
migration due to dissimilar metals. In other words:
Don't mix copper and aluminum. You can get away
with copper and brass.
Then there is the melting temp of copper versus
aluminum which affects the current handling
capabilities. I prefer to use copper.
73 - Tim WA4PTZ
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »

I'm in a similar situation.
Just this past Friday, I was talking about this topic with a co-worker (I had just ordered a PAR ef-20 antenna).
To that end, I considered I.C.E. because, if I understand their web-site correctly, their isolators mount right on the ground-rod and the coax then goes to the house.
So lightning has less chance of entry into the house.
That said, I was made uncomfortable by the eHam reviews for I.C.E. and now am researching AlphaDelta products.
If I understand your approach, the copper-plate mounts to the house and lightning would be routed from that plate to a ground-rod.
This is a serious topic and IMHO is worth the time taken to talk it over before any work is done.
Also, I had no idea snow could be a problem static-wise.
Jerry, KM3K
K0ACP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »

Jerry,

Good points.  Based on feedback from this and the Elmer's forum here on Eham, plus some other reading.  I've decided that I'll go with a DX Engineering grounding enclosure package.  I intend to mount it to a metal pipe that is just outside of my home -- don't like nailing things to the side of the home, plus, I like the idea of having additional air gap between SPG and house!

The DX Engineering kit includes instructions / ideas for mounting to an independent pole/mast.

Art
K0ACP
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »

ICE makes an excellent product and it is top notch quality-wise and work like a champ.  I've used only ICE devices; you can't go wrong.

Don't forget to bond your Shack ground to this SPG ground rod and also your electrical service entrance ground, via an outdoor path, to it also.  These are also very important elements of a properly installed lightning grounding system.  To leave any one out, could still invite lightning into your house.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »

Yep, ICE makes good products at a fair price.

For good info on lightning protection read:
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm

For tips on how to do it on a budget, Pick up a May 2009 copy of Popular Communications magazine.

VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

Dont forget some real basic grounding techniques.  (1) several deep ground rods right off the bottom of your tower legs - easy access to ground for a strike.  (2) Wind a coax choke on the tower below your antennas  (3)  coax longer than the length of your tower to ground.  (4) unplug your radio, we all know when there's a storm coming.

Smiley cheers bro.........every now and then I find an old stump in the forrest black charred from a direct strike - pretty cool

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: