Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supplies, tuners and antennas?  (Read 584 times)
KI6ISQ

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »

Greetings,

Got my General ticket today. I have purchased a used Ic 718. Any suggestions for power supplies, tuners and antennas. It's a limited budget station for now.

Jim
KI6ISQ
KF4HOQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:37 PM »

I owned a 718 for a while. Nice radio!

My power supply is a no-name, older, 20 amp supply that I bought from a guy at the local hamfest for $20. He said that he found it sitting next to the curb of his neighbor's house! It hasn't failed me in over 3 years!! It pays to shop the flea market areas at hamfests!!

I have an MFJ-993 auto-tuner. I just didn't want to have to hunt down the correct settings using a bunch of dials. It's only a 300W tuner, but since I run barefoot from an IC-706, it's not a problem.

Antennas.....that's like asking which beach is your favorite! I don't have a great HF antenna here in this apartment, but if you start browsing www.dxzone.com, you'll find TONS of antenna ideas and plans from across the world that you can experiment with. That way, you can find out what will work best for you at your QTH.

Have fun!!  73!!
Michael
KF4HOQ
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

Just about any well-regulated power supply that's capable  of providing enough current will do fine.  I've used Astrons for many years; but, there are others.  You should be able to find something very good for $50, maybe less.

I don't consider a tuner to be a necessity; but, I have an old beater MFJ-949 that I keep around for when I need it.  It has a dummy load, a power/SWR meter, antenna switch, and tuner in one inexpensive package.  Honestly, I mostly use it for the dummy load.  Most SWR/power meters built into tuners are adequate to alert you if you have a problem.  So, this is a nice package.

You can buy commercial antennas; some of them work very well.  But, for getting started, building antennas yourself is a fun and educational activity that could save you a few hundred dollars.  I'd build a 1/2-wave wire dipole or two and have fun.  There's a guy in the Elmers section who always recommends a fan dipole.  He's right.  I've been using them for years and they work well.

One more thing about antennas: resist the urge to buy a "G5RV."  I'm not sure why people are so fascinated by them.  It's an OK antenna; but, you can do better with a fan dipole or a dipole fed with open wire for about the same or less money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: