Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTENNA GROUND AND METAL ROOF  (Read 2178 times)
KB5WHX

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »

Hello,

Within the last few years I built a new home which has a metal "Galvalume Roof".  I would like to put up a 2-meter vertical antenna however grounding the antenna mast is a problem due to the long run of ground wire and the roof lines.  As I understand a metal roof does not have to be grounded.  I thought abount simply using some metal strapping to ground the mast to the roof so to speak.  Once I am finished using the radio I always unplug the equipment from the house power as well as disconnect the coax and placing the end into a large insulator in order to completely isolate the equipment from any electrical source.  I also do this with my computer.  The coax will enter the house from the attic and flow through PVC pipe that I placed in the walls while the house was under construction.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely Yours,

Steve
KB5WHX
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »

The only reason to ground your two meter antenna would be for lightning.

If it were mine, I would simply do as you suggest, A copper or metal strap from the antenna mast to the roof.

HOWEVER, The roof itself NEEDS to also be grounded!  At least at two diagonal corners with nice heavy wire or strap to 8 foot ground rods.

IF you "disconnect" any coax lines, DO put that "disconnected" line TO GROUND somehow, NOT just laying about in some kind of "insulator"!!!!!   Think it over.      A lightning bolt that just traveled several MILES through the sky will have NO problem blowing up whatever it is you have for an insulator!

For some good info on lightning protection see:

http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: