Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better FT-60 charger?  (Read 1324 times)
W4AJA

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »

I’m a brand new HAM and decided to buy a Yaesu FT-60R as my first radio.  I’d like to get some sort of “smart” charger for it that doesn’t overcharge the battery if it’s left in.  Looking at the Yaesu website I see there’s a VAC-370B.  On Ebay I see one called a VAC-10 or VAC-10G that I don’t see on the Yaesu site.  I haven’t been able to figure out if either of these charges is smart enough not to overcharge my new radio battery.  Looking for advice.

Mark
KD8FIH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »

I can't answer your question, but I can give you some information that may help:

I called Yaesu about a year ago regarding the VAC-10/VAC-10G and they had never heard of it (and that was that, no offer to check into it, etc.). It appears to be aimed at the European market and NOT the US market for some reason. I bought one from eBay and it shipped from Hong Kong. It worked fine until I gave it a spike by running my vacuum cleaner from the same AC outlet - I think the spike generated when I turned off the vacuum did it in. There is a dead short to ground on the Vcc line of the microprocessor. I tried to contact (email) Yaesu about getting a replacement micro and never received an answer. I ended up buying a charger from Powerstream and cobbling it to the cradle of the now dead VAC-10 (disconnected the dead circuitry).

Tim
KD8FIH
W4AJA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:24:28 AM »

Thanks for the information on the VAC-10.  Doesn't sound like something I want to fool with.
W4AJA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with these folks?  Looks like they make a good HT charger and they also sell batteries.

http://www.ww-manufacturing.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: