Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice of Base Radio  (Read 675 times)
VK2FRO

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »

Gday folks

Having recently upgraded to Advanced status, I figured it was time to start upgrading my station. Having a limited sized lot, I'm putting up some new antenna's; one is already installed (end fed wire), and planning to put up a 10 ele 2m beam and a mosley Mini 33WARC  for 10-20m. The wire covers 40-80 quite well. It was fun to hear a station (and a friend who would not joke about S readings) tell me i was a S9+20 on 80 m the other night. Before, I didnt even move his S-Meter.

Once the antenna's are up I'm going to get a base rig.

Yes the IC-7000 I already have is a nice radio, but I want something bigger and easier to drive. This also means I can dedicate the 7000 to pack and go ops, digital modes at home, and monitoring our local 2m repeaters and simplex frequencies (a few mates and myself hang out on a particular 2m frequency).

The two radios I am looking at are:

Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-2000

In my case, I need to pick up a transiever that has excellent selectivity, as there is a lot of man made noise around here, and constantly having to battle the QRM to pull in a signal is anoying on the icom, as you need to go through a couple of presses etc to get to the settings on the ANF, MNF, and the other filters on the radio (apart from the passband, which with one click, can be engaged and operated on the bottom concentric knob.)

I think I'd prefer the Yaesu radios, as later on I can buy the DMU, and a 22" screen and have the bandscope functionality instead of constantly swishing up and down the band, looking for activity. The bandscope on the 7000 is next to useless as it chops out the audio.

The next step up (with bandscope functionality) in the icom range is the 7600, which is way out of my price range!

Now VK2FRO (upgraded to advanced a while ago)
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:46:30 AM »

Consider the Icom 756PRO series.

The original PRO, 900-1100 bucks good used.
The 756PROII, 1200-1500 good used.
The 756PROIII, 1800 or so dollars good used.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »

I can tell you I have had my new 950 for a month, and I couldn't ask for more. I've had Kenwoods for a long time. The 950 receiver blows my 440S away. I can't say personally much about the newer Kenwoods, but I went with the 950 largely based on the receiver comments in reviews. Big enough radio that I don't bump unintended controls. While some thought the menu was difficult, I find it pretty logical and the use of hard controls on the front panel to be reasonably decent choices. Needs to be mounted with the front elevated for me to see all the display and controls well, but that's okay.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:53:31 AM »

When you look at the Yaesu line, consider rather than getting the DMU to look at the RF Space SDR-IQ and the IF-2000 adaptor. For less money you will get a much better panadaptor, a useful SDR receiver, and have two ways to tune your transceiver, manually and by point and click.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: